a great script will support poor art
    but brilliant art will never salvage a dire script

so says a cartoonist....
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Default Re: BUT IS IT ART?

You are so wise handrawn.

l'd leave the ironic sarcasm to those who are good at it, otherwise some might think you are trolling
    Nothing lasts forever...

Alright girls. Enough bickering.

What is scary to me contrary to what Steve is saying is the ability of AI to create a scene on it's own with minimal input complete with details that we not in the request.

To achieve this degree of detail through description would require several pages of description. The actual description for the scene (not my image) was minimal. The AI bot drew upon a huge database of visual information including different surfaces, light sources, time of day, and a lot more. Pretty much the same process a skilled illustrator or painter would.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	robot.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	197.0 KB 
ID:	134181  

gary, the wonderful image produced is of limitrd use to a designer unless it was what they actually wanted, where is the artistic control if it starts adding things you didn't ask for; you get clipart like I said - wonderful stuff, but if it did it for you, it might do exact same for someone else; clipart

this will be a tool for liberating artists so they can work at another level, like a computer did for tech drawing..

BTW I am only a girl when I choose to be....

Last edited by handrawn; 23 October 2023 at 09:03 PM. Reason: on mobile at kings cross TG is a pain on mobile
    Nothing lasts forever...

BTW I am only a girl when I choose to be....
    Aren't we all.

Having worked in advertising for 15 years and then having my own graphic design company for another 12, I know how much damage this is going to do to the art and photography business.

A client is going to ask, why are we paying (and way back when I was working) So and So $15,000 for an illustration/photograph when we can get an image for the price of an account (chump change) from one of the AI graphics generators.

And for that matter, why are we paying So & So What all that money and benefits to create advertising when Chat GPT can do the same for peanuts. And why are we paying all that money to the research director, the account executive, the entire creative department.

I know how the business works. And this is not the small shops. I worked for Young & Rubicam and other major international ad agencies. Turn them upside down and they all look (and think) alike.

I'm with handrawn. I have yet to have any of the generators produce something from my prompts that is close to what I'm envisaging. Until we get prompts, ChatGPT style, then AI art is very limited if you're looking for something, even loosely, specific.

With ChatGPT I set out to make a slider that had individual links and scrolled right to left. It produced code in seconds. But the slider reached the end and then flicked back to the beginning. I carried on with the same question/prompt by asking to have the slider reverse when it reaches the end. Again, mere seconds for the code. Lastly, the slider had a double time pause at the first and last slides. A continuation of the prompt, and I now had what I was envisioning.

To be truly job stealing, AI art generators would have to work in a similar manner. Imagine a client/manager asking for a stylised logo, side view of a woman's head with flowing hair. You slap the exact prompt into a generator and email the result to the client. "Make the eyes slightly wider, make the hair longer and more flowy, and the lips look like she's pouting." ChatGPT style you could ask for the changes. As it is, you're out of luck.

gary - yes and when we get control that control will be available to clients as well and they may choose to do their own designs

just as currently clients can choose to use tools (I"m looking at you xara) to do their own corporate branding and some their own animations

this is empowering, but design studios will have to adapt or, I guess, go the way of hand drawn cell animation
    Nothing lasts forever...

chris - the controls may be a way off, really it needs a ui interface, i'd suggest calling it blender but someone has already thought of that

and then for nontech clients something a bit simpler

it may take a while...
    Nothing lasts forever...

...create a scene on it's own with minimal input complete with details that were not in the request
    Indeed Gary but here's the failing. The request probably required a brass & steel robot, a clock, dinner table, brass table lamp chandelier. And the results at first glance look impressive but as you look closer you start to notice the oddities. There are three clocks, two on the wall next to each other which would be very strange in the real world. AI tends to draw clocks at 10 past 2 because that is how the majority of clocks in it's database are set. Ask it to draw one showing a specific time and it has no idea. The table lamp on further inspection looks like something Esher would create. The four and a half oddly scattered equally filled wine glasses look very wobbly etc.

It becomes very complicated if you want to create a cartoon comic strip say of a consistant character where you need to use seeds but these often wander off the instructions often replacing a white baseball cap with a lue one for no apparent reason. It then becomes very time confusing.

As for taking over jobs, computers have been doing this at ever increasing speed over the years mainly in the manual sector. Look at the print industry alone. It is unrecognisable from that of 50 years ago. It's now moving into more complex work.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host