Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Free 14 day trial

Quote Originally Posted by Dahzee View Post
    I .. won't update to the cloud version until there is the ability to merge multiple layers, import 2D .DXF files and a proper raster to vector routine.
    add to that: more vector tools (vector fill, measure, shape building, connectors) , DXF/DWG export, a bog standard application usable without Internet connection/subscription like older version and a tweakable UI and I will happily splash €200 .

Xara Designer is a wonderfull, fast and potent illustration, design and draughts application but the last 4 years lost a lot of it's advantages. Inkscape is getting closer, Affinity is near but I keep reverting to Xara Designer for it's speed and ease.

But I won't switch to Pro+ if it's only a subscription

Lightbulb Re: Free 14 day trial

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    add to that: more vector tools (vector fill, measure, shape building, connectors) , DXF/DWG export, a bog standard application usable without Internet connection/subscription like older version and a tweakable UI and I will happily splash €200 .
    Xara Designer is a wonderfull, fast and potent illustration, design and draughts application but the last 4 years lost a lot of it's advantages. Inkscape is getting closer, Affinity is near but I keep reverting to Xara Designer for it's speed and ease.
    But I won't switch to Pro+ if it's only a subscription
    Michael, putting the Subscription debate to one side:

More vector tools:
    • vector fill - this now exists for linear fills within SVG outputs; it is slowly being extended.
    • measure - you could use a Smart Line.
    • shape building - we have the Shape painter tool in combination with all the shape combining tools and ClipView.
    • connectors - 100% on board - dynamic connectors.

DXF/DWG export:
    • An XDA is not a CAD package. Making it one would drag it down on speed.

• DWG is proprietary — which means it is the sole property of Autodesk. Only the company (Adobe) can alter or modify the file format.
    • To make the DXF file more effective, Autodesk designed it as an open-source file. The format is free to anyone and anyone can program or rewrite accompanying software. This means that, over time, DXF files get revised, redeveloped and improve by the people who use it.

A bog standard application usable without Internet connection/subscription like older version
    • It still is so capable for around 30 days at a time, so useful to reconnect and download the latest update. The "older" version was similar.

A tweakable UI and I will happily splash €200
    • Xara would have to switch to a different platform builder product so that may never happen.
    • €200 gets you a year's subscription. That might be enough time for Xara to realise there is still a large market for a perpetual licence to use approach.

If Subscription is such an anathema then go to Affinity. I have both and use them for different purposes.
    I mainly focus on web documents but I am at ease with many web generation tools. This Thread is in Graphics Cat so I assume I have to discount Web.
    Equally, I would never use Xara for robust DTP; I might compose in the XDA but switch to another program for its richer DTP features.
    So we have a full circle, Xara's XDA is not perfect but it can be used as a springboard into other products. One of which is Xara Cloud.
    My focus is on the end product not the tool or how it is acquired (legally).

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Michael, putting the Subscription debate to one side:
    [*]vector fill - this now exists for linear fills within SVG outputs; it is slowly being extended.[*]measure - you could use a Smart Line.[*]shape building - we have the Shape painter tool in combination with all the shape combining tools and ClipView.[*]connectors - 100% on board - dynamic connectors.
    I conclude:
    Vector fills: partially fulfilled. I'd like to make a shape or group as an item to fill a form. Yes, clipview might be used but is cumbersome. Ans still: only exportable to SVG, no PDF (and yes: SVG can be converted to PDF)
    Measure: smartline are cumbersome, tend to do things on its's own an sometimes not usable for small items
    Shape building : Thanks Acorn, I've learned somthing new! One can add shapes to each other by using the shape painter as "glue".
    connectors: I've searched high and low but I can't find "dynamic connectors" Please point to wher they can be found ( the Helpe doesn't mention them either)

But my main issue: if I splash out €200 for a years subscription, will the program work after that year?

But my main issue: if I splash out €200 for a years subscription, will the program work after that year?
    The program will work. But after your subscription runs out you will not receive any new updates or new versions.

if it is pro+ it will not work once your subscription runs out, unless you renew it [it will revert to 'demo' mode which is not usable for editing]

I am not sure what acorn refers to as 'dynamic connectors' either....
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    connectors: I've searched high and low but I can't find "dynamic connectors" Please point to wher they can be found ( the Helpe doesn't mention them either)
    Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    I am not sure what acorn refers to as 'dynamic connectors' either....
    Both, I was agreeing that we need dynamic connectors!

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

yes now I read it again I can see that

they would be very useful
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...