• LCD and CRT monitor's show no difference

0 0%
  • LCD monitor strains my eyes more

0 0%
  • I've become practically blind since buying my LCD

0 0%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thanks all for the posts and votes ...

They did have a 17" there but at $1030 Canadian, it's just too much. It was bad enough for the 15" (it's nice though that it is not really much smaller than my 19" as the 19" was only 17.75

I've never heard of the Elsa shutter glasses so I guess it's not an issue. Sounds interesting though ....I'll search for them.

David K ... www.dkingdesign.com http://www.dkingdesign.com/stuff/signature.jpg

I had a pair of those, but found that they were very picky on how they worked.

1) You had to have a Riva TNT/2 card of some sort, or one of Elsa's brand cards in order for it to work.

2) Your monitor had to support a very high refresh rate (somewhere in the 120 Hz range I think), otherwise it wouldn't work.

I never was able to get them to work on my machine back when I had a TNT/2.

These days many other graphics cards than just Matrox ones have multiple monitor outputs. Matrox cards tend to be all right for 2D, but they're hopeless for 3D games. Then again, Matrox now have cards available that can run 4 or even 8 LCDs at once, which is pretty impressive if you can afford that! (wfc, I am indeed totally lusting at that setup.)

If you can, get a monitor and graphics card with DVI. Rather than have the card convert your digital display information into analogue and the screen convert it back into digital, connect the two with a pure digital link. The picture will be totally stable without having to fiddle with any timing settings. Unfortunately many of the cheaper LCDs still don't come with DVI, which is stupid as it shouldn't really cost anything to add.

I was lucky in that I picked up my 18"-with-DVI for about 800 UK quids, about as cheap as they have ever been. The price of LCDs has been going up ever since. I hope that they either come back down again or one of the other flat-panel display technologies (such as LEP) proves to be viable. Because cathode ray tubes are poo. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]