Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: How easy is it to defeat a copyrighted image

Yes, I understand all that--and mentioned the hassle it would take to remove your scheme. While I think I could do a reasonable job of it...why?

As for say Getty et al copyrighted images, I don't find them as intrusive. Then too, I only use the copyright image as FPO until the client purchases a license...unless suitable free stock images can be found.

Your scheme is intrusive enough I would pass on perusing such a site. I cannot imagine that is your goal. Such a scheme for copy righted images is off-putting. This is all my POV which may be a POS.

Quote Originally Posted by mwenz View Post
    Yes, I understand all that--and mentioned the hassle it would take to remove your scheme. While I think I could do a reasonable job of it...why?

As for say Getty et al copyrighted images, I don't find them as intrusive. Then too, I only use the copyright image as FPO until the client purchases a license...unless suitable free stock images can be found.
    Your scheme is intrusive enough I would pass on perusing such a site. I cannot imagine that is your goal. Such a scheme for copy righted images is off-putting. This is all my POV which may be a POS.
    The point is a 'reasonable job' and the effort to steal the image may be enough of a deterrent.

The point i was establishing is an XDA has the inherent tools to construct a positive and negative mask from any repeating or non- repeating B&W design.
    The result is a complex jigsaw of two interlocking parts that are hard (but not impossible) to re-assemble. It is a watermark and two images.
    I was trying to demonstrate the ability to group several shapes in a design into one outputted image.

CSS-Lions' Masquerade.xar

Watermarking on it own is even simpler within a Xara application as you can overlay a transparency onto an image that is itself an image.

For this approach, I see its main limitation to be you that cannot incorporate it into a gallery. It uses a small amount of CSS to achieve the masking.
    My next method leverages watermarking and the HighSlide widget.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Lightbulb Re: How easy is it to defeat a copyrighted image

The main problem of Xara's implementation of the HighSlide widget is it take the Shape that has Web Properties > Image > Photo pop-up applied and pop-ups the exact same Shape at a higher scaling.

I have overcome this by placing the pop-up control images into a !Thumbs layer.
    They are hidden from design view to avoid clutter. When any shape in the layer calls the same layer as a pop-up then these images & shapes will always be published.

Each !Thumbs' image is then set Web Properties > Image > Photo pop-up as normal.
    The only trick is each is then given a Name (Id). I chose tnn where nn can be any two-digit number, just make each different.
    The 'thumbs' can be as small as you like. Set them out in a grid (10x10 'thumbs' would work), giving an easy way to recover the Name (Id).

On your design page, any shape, line, button, image or fragment can be linked to this Name.
    The Link is javascript: void $('#tnn').parent().click();
    This acts as if you had clicked the hidden 'thumbs' image.

In the Page Head and Body are CSS and JavaScript that alter the Xara defaults for HighSlide.
    You do not need these but it affords an additional layer of control over how your wish to design to present.

In Xara Plus applications, Xara introduced the preload method that affects how the hs variable can be manipulated.
    Essentially, I needed to add a further window.addEventListener('load', ) statement to ensure HighSlide was loaded before accessing and changing the hs variable.
    I have not checked with IE (as MS now forces Edge) where there might be a conflict. XDPDv12 runs IE internally but the HighSlide CSS settings are not recognised.
    As far as I can see, this design works properly in all modern browsers.

JS - Highslide Copyrighting.xar

I only added a simple watermark to the lions' image.
    This approach also works with Variants. You need to ensure the !Thumbs layer in the variant is empty.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Developing the last Post, this approach uses the same technique but integrates the HighSliding slicing more seamlessly.

The point of this approach is you are in control of what you want to present and at what scale.
    At no time does the entire image get published.
    So if you only want actual buyers to get the fuller, genuine article, this is a viable approach.

A rip-off merchant would need to knit together a jigsaw of fragments of differing resolutions with missing pieces.
    All before you considering watermarking and masking as covered before.

jQuery - HighSlide Copyright Slicing.xar

Acorn