Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Repel text under

I can't get repel text under a shape to work any longer on Xara Pro+. Installed latest version, set Run as Administrator & rebooted my PC. Still can't ge it to work, even on Xara Pro 17.

Can someone confirm this is local to just my machine please?
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Default Re: Repel text under

Egg, is your text a Text Line?
    If so, it cannot be repelled.

Repelling OK for Text Columns an Areas.
    Even works into Text Inside.
    Fails into new Table Tool.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

I was using a text area and it doesn't work Works fine for a text column. Strange.
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Makes no sense in tables and so is deliberately disabled.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilM View Post
    PhilM, there is always a User Story:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Repel Table Text.png 
Views:	56 
Size:	219.1 KB 
ID:	133007

Just having the ability to manage text in a Cell is important.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    I was using a text area and it doesn't work Works fine for a text column. Strange.
    Egg, a test file might help us here.

Acorn

Quote Originally Posted by PhilM View Post
    I can see where acorn is coming from here I think...

and whilst you are here - it makes no sense to me to be able to add things to a locked layer.. in my book that means the layer is not fully locked, just partially... there should be a full lock option... is there?

another thing, in freehand tool, using shift select on a group does not select the group if you click over a bitmap element, it 'smart' selects inside, the said bitmap... makes no sense to me as that is what control select already does - but for this there is a registry fix at least...

thanks
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Info Re: Repel text under

@Egg, do also check you have not applied Repel text under to both the Shape and the Text object.

Just had some weird effects with (A) Shape+RTU over (B) Text Area+RTU over (C) Text Area.
    • (A) only repels (C).
    • (B) repels (C) during a Drag but not after a Drop.
    • (B) shows a repel of a copy of itself (B') and (C) during a Drag.
    • (B) shows (B') during any resize until a Drop [(C} behaves normally].
    • (A) repel (B) and (C) when (A) is over both and (B) is over (C).

When I tried to change Text colours, I could not.
    I then twigged that (C) was linked to (B).
    When I broke the link, I had a saner evening:

• (B) repels (C).
    • (A) repels (C).
    • (A) does not repel (B).

Acorn

I was just doing a video whilst you were answering to this thread & whilst the video doesn't mention this, it is almost exactly the way I cocked it up I think. I tend not to select an object and then right click to get the right click menu, but use the top arrange menu, which is void of a 'Repel text below' option. So I may have tried with both selected and applied a Repel & Anchor which as you state leads to wierd happenings.

Egg

@Egg, all I can offer is for you to create a special custom key, I use Shift+M for 'Repel text under' as a toggle.

Acorn