Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Lightbulb Website testing on a SmartPhone

I work with my PC mostly and find it a chore to test on a SmartPhone.

Moment of Doh! brilliance.

My main browser has a page URL QRcode generator built-in (Vivaldi) so i just scan that and I have my site on the phone.

The MS Edge Extension is QR Code Generator - Microsoft Edge Addons.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Default Re: Website testing on a SmartPhone

You could also create a QR code and place it on a page in Xara. Your cell is not picky when it comes to QR codes.

The newer iPhones have built in OCR and can perform smart operations.

I took a photo of the address bar then used the OCR to identify the text on the page. In this case an URL. Tapping on the URL gave me the option to go to this website. If it's a phone number it will offer to dial the number. If it's a confirmation code, it will offer to copy the code.

If an image is fairly well known, the phone will show the same image via Safari and provide links to sites featuring that photo.

I heard a person from Pixar commenting on the forced simplicity of the original oy Story because of the lack of computer power. He said today's cell phone have much more computing power than the original computers they used to generate the animation.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2418.PNG 
Views:	85 
Size:	543.6 KB 
ID:	131833  

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    You could also create a QR code and place it on a page in Xara. Your cell is not picky when it comes to QR codes.
    Indeed Gary.
    Unless the Customer wanted such to be on their site, I might only add it in for testing, which is more of a faff to clicking a browser button.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

You are so right, process automation is the future, and using QR codes has been my go-to recently! Also wanted to share some of my thoughts on the topic of website testing and making it a smoother process Selenium is a great automation tool that can be used for testing by simulating user interactions on mobile devices, helped me a lot and is relatively easy to use) And I would also recommend to test more on real devices and not just simulators and emulators, and as you mentioned QR codes are great for making it way easier. I've been using some free QR code generators for this and the one I'm using the most right now is https://viralqr.com/ . Perfect for static QRs, however I'm planning on experimenting with dymanic codes and will keep you updated on this

Quote Originally Posted by arthur111 View Post
    You are so right, process automation is the future, and using QR codes has been my go-to recently! Also wanted to share some of my thoughts on the topic of website testing and making it a smoother process Selenium is a great automation tool that can be used for testing by simulating user interactions on mobile devices, helped me a lot and is relatively easy to use) And I would also recommend to test more on real devices and not just simulators and emulators, and as you mentioned QR codes are great for making it way easier. I've been using some free QR code generators for this and the one I'm using the most right now is https://viralqr.com/ . Perfect for static QRs, however I'm planning on experimenting with dymanic codes and will keep you updated on this
    Arthur, thank you for the viralQR link. I would endorse it since it outputs SVG except that is is restricted to most use through a paywall. Normally, we block non-Xara URLs for newbies.

Dynamic QRs would be hard to associate with any Xara static website and these too incur a charge.

I appreciate you have a wealth of knowledge you wish to share but you must note the TG Forums are mainly for users of Xara products. An image, PDF or even a website will not merit the rigour that Selenium may bring to testing automation; most Xara users are not code-literate.

In future, please address our target audience and product scope.

Acorn

As far as I can see the only advantage to Viral is the image is cleaner and higher resolution. But unless you're generating decals for the side of a bus . . .

And if you need it bigger, use Vector Magic or Topaz Megapixel

Name:	Mox Nix.png 
Views:	38 
Size:	32.1 KB 
ID:	134717   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dp+ Bigger.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	95.8 KB 
ID:	134718  

As an alternative to requiring a QR scan you can synch your browsers between your PC and iPhone (or Android I guess) by signing into your browsers account on both PC & Phone and using an addon. Once set up it stay's synchronised and you can remain signed in.

Screengrabs of Firefox on PC (left) & iPhone (right)

Addon LINK

Name:	export.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	74.1 KB 
ID:	134719   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	export.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	92.2 KB 
ID:	134720  

Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    As an alternative to requiring a QR scan you can synch your browsers between your PC and iPhone (or Android I guess) by signing into your browsers account on both PC & Phone and using an addon. Once set up it stay's synchronised and you can remain signed in.

Screengrabs of Firefox on PC (left) & iPhone (right) Addon LINK
    Egg, useful, if its your phone and set up.

Without a QR code, I use WhatsApp Web to myself or a client.

Acorn