Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

I often hand-trace high-res B&W bitmaps (1200 dpi 2-bit .tif format) in XaraX, always on their own layer.

I export the finished vectors as .ai files to use in other applications, but today I forgot to remove the bitmap first. The resulting .ai file was 200 megabytes, and could not be deleted, (access was denied). I tried deleting in safe mode, MsDos, restarting, virus-checking, scandisc, defragging- well I was getting desperate to get rid of it! XaraX would not import it but suddenly I thought of Illustrator which luckily I have. That opened it without problems. I was then able to delete the bitmap within Illustrator and resave, and have deleted the file!

So problem solved but as the Xara phone helpline is closed I thought I would log the problem here. Not that anyone else would do such a daft thing!

Jessica

I often hand-trace high-res B&W bitmaps (1200 dpi 2-bit .tif format) in XaraX, always on their own layer.

I export the finished vectors as .ai files to use in other applications, but today I forgot to remove the bitmap first. The resulting .ai file was 200 megabytes, and could not be deleted, (access was denied). I tried deleting in safe mode, MsDos, restarting, virus-checking, scandisc, defragging- well I was getting desperate to get rid of it! XaraX would not import it but suddenly I thought of Illustrator which luckily I have. That opened it without problems. I was then able to delete the bitmap within Illustrator and resave, and have deleted the file!

So problem solved but as the Xara phone helpline is closed I thought I would log the problem here. Not that anyone else would do such a daft thing!

Jessica

What an ordeal, Jessica. Glad you figured it out.

Next time you forget to delete the bitmap, you'll know the solution.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

<a href="http://home.earthlink.net/~garypriester">
    Be it ever so humble...</a>

http://www.thuntek.net/gwp/flag.jpg

I'll know what to do next time!

But thought I'd post anyway in case it's a symptom of something Xara can fix in a future release [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

That "server is busy" error message is sometimes also anoying.