Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

It's fairly easy once you get the hang of it. Hopefully this illustration answers your question.

Mickie
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	blendCurve.gif 
Views:	404 
Size:	12.2 KB 
ID:	9069  

I do much better with these layed out tutorials. I "get it" easier. and it sticks better in my head.

Thanks again

RAMWolff [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---

Explained in the image.

Any help on this one??

Name:	Example_of_Object_to_Curve_Filled.gif 
Views:	373 
Size:	19.8 KB 
ID:	12903  
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---

it just looked like one I saw somewhere else.. Soquili was short on words today it seems. My deepest apologies.

RAMWolff - I apologize for misspelling your name earlier and being short on words. I was at work and was rushed by a trouble call.

To answer you last question. Before changing the fill or colour, convert to Editable Shapes and ungroup. Then unselect the objects by clicking on a blank area, then select the object you want to change.

Soquili
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

is because you changed all objects to blue - the original two blend objects plus the circle you attached the blend to.

The 'problem' can be avoided. But as is typical of Xara there are a number of ways you can avoid such things.

At the most basic you need to be sure just what it is you are applying a colour to when you click the colour bar. At the risk of sounding preachy, do make an effort to understand how xara works and what it really is that you have selected before modifying it. Thankfully xara's undo/redo buttons used with the 'convert to editable shapes' menu command makes for an interesting journey of discovery. A little bit of curious investigation will greatly expand your mastery of the program. Enough of the sermon and on to some advice you might find more relevant.

Perhaps the best thing you could have done was use a named colour in your original pearl-like shape. The advantage of a named colour is you can edit it (the colour) after the fact and any place it is used in your drawing will be modified accordingly. If your 'pearl' was created by drawing a circle with a tawny fill colour as its first step, then with the object selected click the colour editor and click the 'named colour' button. It will allow you to name it and will add it to the colour bar as a custom colour. At any later time you can edit that custom named colour and any place in your drawing that used it will change along too. Yes, it is a powerful thing. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] To learn more about named colours visit Gary's webxealot pages about the colour editor tool.

There are other ways of dealing with the objects before turning them blue but they don't match the power of the named colour approach. Due to that I won't discuss those other approaches at this time.

Regards, Ross

<a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>

HI,

I want to thank you both for the instruction.

I understand what you are saying Ross, there is so much to learn within the program and I DO discover quite a bit on my own, but sometimes I don't understand what is being conveyed to me, so the tutorials that are within this forum have spurred me on to keep learning. As a result I am getting to a place where I can start really creating some kool stuff and finally build my web site.

Soquili, it's perfectly all right that you misspelled my handle. As explained in another recent post. and THANK you for clearing up what was preventing me from individually applying effects to the shapes. Now I understand and have created a newer updated tutorial mentioning the last bit of info. I won't post it if it will offend you, maybe it's not necessary. I am just one of those that learn by example and from visuals and I really appreciate the patience that everyone in here has for teaching and passing on their gained knowledge to others. What a wonderful group.

Thanks again.

Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---

Hi RAMWolff,

Please do post your update tutorial.

The information was passed on to me by Egg Bramhill. Everyone here has been very helpful and I'm just trying to contribute something back.

Soquili
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Well, this post of mine came back from the dead with a whole new learning curve applied to it, I LOVE IT!!

Learn, love, and then learn some more!!

PS< Must be brain dead, where DO I go to change my username for this forum. I think I'm loosing it finally, I can't see the link. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img]

Name:	Fitting_Objects_Around_a_Curve_Tutorial.gif 
Views:	311 
Size:	52.7 KB 
ID:	11468  
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

Isn't making mini-tutorials a great way to reinforce to ourselves techniques?? Furthermore, they almost always end up helping others which, of course, makes them a very worthwhile endevour.

It is great to share our personal discoveries. Whilst there will be some forum participants who see a technique as familiar, there are always others who will benefit. Even those of us with 'advanced' xara skills have been known to be introduced to great new techniques by newbies.

Xara X's tool set is incredibly flexible. Each of us as a result have our own particular ways of using them. Participation in this forum has the benefit of exposing ourselves to the experiences of others and the approaches they use. I want to encourage others to make their own mini-tutorials. Have no dread that the info is "too basic" - it is the biggest complaint we hear around here: the lack of beginner resources.

Regards to all, Ross
    <a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>

PS - RAMwolff - I like that little "Results will vary". [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]