Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Just popped in at the right time to take advantage of the Xara download for the new XaraX.
    I quite like the look of it and general feel when using it however I must say that the fill and transparency tools don't seem to function quite so smoothly as before the control handles seem smaller and harder to grab, with the direction arrows and handle disappearing as you move them which I personally think is inferior to the old version, but it may be a glitch with my PC, if so I apologise.
    I look forward to the final release which I will buy instantly. In the mean time here a quick mess about with the download just to try it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gardenbubbles.jpg 
Views:	903 
Size:	104.5 KB 
ID:	14478  

Yippee! Downloaded, purchased and it looks good, especially the solid object dragging and the bitmap editor - very handy. Also, one of my two main irritations has been addressed, i.e. you can now save lots of default attributes, including the font (goodbye Times New Roman, you will not be missed http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/biggrin.gif )

Unfortunately, the other thing that drives me to distraction, the fact that the prog allows me to import and paste to a locked and invisible layer, hasn't received any attention. Never mind, maybe in the future.

All in all, worth the wait and a bargain at the generous upgrade price.
    -- Bob

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by masque:
    Just popped in at the right time to take advantage of the Xara download for the new XaraX.
    I quite like the look of it and general feel when using it however I must say that the fill and transparency tools don't seem to function quite so smoothly as before the control handles seem smaller and harder to grab, with the direction arrows and handle disappearing as you move them which I personally think is inferior to the old version, but it may be a glitch with my PC, if so I apologise.
    I look forward to the final release which I will buy instantly. In the mean time here a quick mess about with the download just to try it. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well there you are Derek!! http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/biggrin.gif Loooooong time buddy!! Your missed here and over at PP, need to PM you about something if that's OK??

What you are experiencing is that there are two modes for Xara X1 to run in. If you will notice at the bottom right of the work area there is the Snap to icon and there is a new one looks like a little blue dot with a tine arrow pointing into it. If you double click that your old familiar XaraX will be there with control handles. What I have found VERY useful in making good use of this new feature called Solid "Live" Dragging. Try using a fill with this turned on and watch how the fill moves within the shape without those distracting handles in the way. It's REAL TIME dragging going on there buddy!! THAT'S useful. Fractals are a dream to work with too now (more so than before). If you will notice to if you turn on "Snap to Objects" it's GREATLY improved. You can place a line drawing on a layer and lock it and then create a new layer and draw a line and then drag it to one of the lined areas of the image or drawing and it's snaps to the nearest line. It's a dream come true.

Eobet the reason why the program tries to go out on the web when first invoked is that there is a multitude of mini .avi tutorials to download. I've got 72 downloaded so far, yes you heard me right 72 and it's working on downloading the 73rd .avi as I type this.

Charles and Co. have done some great things. I'm fine with the splash screen, it's kinda dark and boring but it's not the program, it's what counts when you are working ultimately!!

Can't wait to see if Klaus or Jens is going to put Xara X1 to work over in Linux using the new Arial font fall back. That SHOULD clear up the font issue, I hope. I just got Mandrake 10 installed and configured but I've not had too much luck with WINE so far in the past, maybe it's better, don't know yet.
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---

Xander,
    Be sure that you are connected to the Internet during the X1 program install as it needs to download more files directly. - Andrew

Richard
    Thanks for the tip I will explore further. Just an instant reaction before.
    As for not being around, well that just it..I haven't been. Going back and forward between here and Spain and trying to do all my 'work' during periods here. Still not set up to work from Spain yet.
    If you wish to contact me: new e.mail address is /masque@blueyonder.co.uk. (I have been inundated with spam..hundreds per day hence the change).
    Next stop P.P. for a look at whats going on.

derek

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RAMWolff:
    Eobet the reason why the program tries to go out on the web when first invoked is that there is a multitude of mini .avi tutorials to download. I've got 72 downloaded so far, yes you heard me right 72 and it's working on downloading the 73rd .avi as I type this. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

OMG ... 73?
    Could you give me a rough idea of the size of download that involves? I'm on dial-up, and downloading the 10MB of XaraX1 takes about 40mins. AVIs can be pretty big ...
    Fortunately, xara.com must've juiced up that server http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/smile.gif because I'm having an unusually fast download.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I just got Mandrake 10 installed and configured <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Wolff, hope you don't mind, I'll PM you about M10 as I'm about to install it myself ...
    Regards,
    Britta

There's about 70mb of video files in total.

If you select that you're on a dial-up connection, it won't download a few of them -- the total download will be about 50mb then.
    I'd start a revolution, if I could get up in the morning.

Anthony,

I'm assuming the movies will be on the CD?

Joel

I know this is prerelease so this is definately not a complaint or anything but I just wanted to make sure that some things didn't get forgotten that initially I didn't see. These are items that have come up in the past and were said that they would be in the next version: When doing a maneuver like dragging an object and duplicating it you would have a "repeat" menu item that would do the same maneuver over. Also something I really have wanted and I see it's there but doesn't allow is when exporting TGA's you have a 32bit radio box but it is greyed out. Is this going to be fixed? Also what about in shape edit mode when you grab a few control points and you want to do a rotation of just those points? This was another item that was said would be in the next release. And finally, layered export to png is great but I would be happy with just png export as long as you have the option to export the entire artboard so that all layers have the same boundaries so that when you bring into Photoshop everything retains it's position.

Thanks for making this available. I am very excited!!!

s.g.