Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

I'm running Windows 98.

There seems to be a limitation as to how many fonts I can have installed (around 300?).

What is the smartest way for my to set things up so that I can have access to some 1000 or so fonts that I have on a CD?

I know that this has been discussed here some time back but I can't for the life of me find the thread. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

I have tried all kinds of stuff and the only thing I have accomplished is to give myself a headache.

Any pointers would be appreciated!

Risto

risto@ristoklint.com

Visit my web site!

I'm running Windows 98.

There seems to be a limitation as to how many fonts I can have installed (around 300?).

What is the smartest way for my to set things up so that I can have access to some 1000 or so fonts that I have on a CD?

I know that this has been discussed here some time back but I can't for the life of me find the thread. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

I have tried all kinds of stuff and the only thing I have accomplished is to give myself a headache.

Any pointers would be appreciated!

Risto

risto@ristoklint.com

Visit my web site!

Risto

The number of fonts that Windows wants you to have installed is 400.

There are various font utilities that allow you to create font groups and then activate and deactivate them. I use Bitstream Font Navigator which comes free with CorelDRAW. You can probably purchase it directly from Bitstream.

There are other utilities including Adobe Type Manager (ATM) which now handles TrueType and Type One PostScript fonts and can also create instances of Adobe's Multiple Master Fonts. You need ATM if you want to display Type 1 PostScript fonts.

I use both but use Font Navigator to manage my fonts. You can also drag fonts from the active list to the inactive list which can contain as many fonts as you want.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

<a href="http://www.gwpriester.com">
    www.gwpriester.com </a>

XaraXone

I too, use Font Navigator. It's a great little utility.
    Mike
    "You can't grill 'em, 'til you kill 'em"
    Ted Nugent

It's Adobe Type Manager here ...

I have no experience with Bitstram, but what I like about ATM ist that I can group my fonts like 'Standard', 'Customers', 'Handwriting' and so on and activate just the fonts I need right now without a reboot.

Wolfgang

... all for the pointers. I realized I had ATM [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img] It came with an Adobe product that I paid way too much money for... I never installed the ATM as haven't had a need for more than the standard fonts.

I'm not sure if my version of ATM handles TTF but I also found a freeware thingy as a back-up.

I will give it a try tonight - Thanks again!

Risto

risto@ristoklint.com

Visit my web site!

Risto,

here are 2 more programs that might be of interest:

typograph

AMP font viewer

You are a better resource than Google.com.

How do you do it?

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

<a href="http://www.gwpriester.com">
    www.gwpriester.com </a>

XaraXone

Thank you, Gary.

I also have 1 suggestion regarding fonts for a future release of Xara X.

If you are looking for a font concerning a certain project, let's say a company name, it would be great, if the font gallery did not only display "AaBbCc", but if it could display the company name (or whatever) in that font. Many font utilities enable you to change the sample text.

... for the tips cyberdao!

I'm up and running - I now have more useless fonts than I will ever need! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Risto

risto@ristoklint.com

Visit my web site!