Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

It's been inidcated before that the best way to learn is by looking at exixting work. I'd be interested to know who you look at and admire, and possible learn from. Aprt from the the obvious Vladimyr and Russ-Ussr that is.

If I had to name a book that inspired me it was a book called "The Flights of Icurus" with art by Roger Dean, Jim FitzPatrick, Chris Foss, Syd Mead, and Ian Miller. All Fantasy Art work.

What about you guys?

Turan

It's been inidcated before that the best way to learn is by looking at exixting work. I'd be interested to know who you look at and admire, and possible learn from. Aprt from the the obvious Vladimyr and Russ-Ussr that is.

If I had to name a book that inspired me it was a book called "The Flights of Icurus" with art by Roger Dean, Jim FitzPatrick, Chris Foss, Syd Mead, and Ian Miller. All Fantasy Art work.

What about you guys?

Turan

Hi Turan, yes I learn from the examples of others.

Gary Priesters book was an inspiration for me. Also, when GOOD graphics magazines were available that I could AFFORD, for example the now defunct Corel Magazine I would read them carefully.

Other sources of inspiration have been high quality periodicals and even some corporate annual statements and posters as they almost always have "digital art" and good examples of composition incorporated in them.

I wish someday to get formal training and go back and take structured classes in design and drawing at the local community college or university.

I learned a lot from looking at Barry Meyers tutorials in Corel Magazine. Barry was, and is, the master of the step-by-step tutorials.

I learned how objects should look by working with professional photographers and studying the way they use lighting to make objects look so appealing in print.

And I learned humility from the Fontman.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

<a href="http://www.gwpriester.com">
    www.gwpriester.com </a>

XaraXone

http://www.gwpriester.com/flag.gif

I'm thinking more about who made you pick up the pen and draw?

I think Gary and the Corel mag have inspired us all but before that, dare I say it before we knew we could use a PC?

Turan

I hate to admit it Turan, but I started "drawing" when I was four. I watched my older brother, then a year or two later I was intrigued by the Don Martin characters in Mad magazine, then the Walt Disney specials (back in 50's showing how to draw Mickey, Donald, and Pluto), and finally some of learn-to-draw stuff on early television.

Unfortunately, I don't think I've progressed much since then. : )

Hi Turan,

I would say that Jon Gnagy would have been the first to inspire me to start drawing. He had a TV program that began airing in 1946.

Soquili
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

Or perhaps just an idiot [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

I think it is really within each of us to be creative. How we exercise that intrinsic creativity differs between individuals. Skills give us the tools to act creatively. We develop those skills ourselves - I believe they are not given to us in the form of "talent". Certainly others are critical to the process of our developing skills. My mother has developed many artistic skills in her life. She was critical in encouraging my early artistic development. Most importantly she helped me develop basic 'design skills' at a young age which I have subsequently continued to develop in a traditional "self-tought" manner.

Regards, Ross

<a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>

Having had NO interest in drawing or art earlier, at the age 13 I discovered Marvel Comics - and haven't been the same since. If not for Marvel Comics and their line-up of great comic book artists - Jack Kirby, Jim Steranko, Barry Smith, Neal Adams - I would never have become an artist. My parents grieve over that, no doubt, but I do not. :-)

K

PS: I did not learn humility from the Fontman.
    K
    www.klausnordby.com/xara (big how-to article)
    www.xaraxone.com/FeaturedArt/kn/ (I was the first-ever featured artist in the Xone)
    www.graphics.com (occasional columnist, "The I of The Perceiver")

I was and still am inspired by many artists from DC, Marvel and Image comics. Neal Adams made me sit up and take notice. Keith Giffen was/is a chameleon of an artist (Jack Kirby influenced but stylized). Dave Cockrum, Mike Grell, Jim Steranko, John Buscema. Modern day artists like Jim Lee, Joe Quesada and a favorite of mine little known Frank Quitely (JLA: Earth 2 graphic novel from DC Comics, check it out! Amazing stuff) adds a 'old flavor' to his illustrations along with a very modern twist to layouts and technique..NICE!!!

That's who influences me then and now!! And Gary's Tut's and the fine people in here are giving me advice, ideas and inspiration to keep plugging away at learning computer graphics!!

RAMWolff [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---