Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

OK, this isn't strictly Xara-related, but I'm going out of my skull trying to find an answer here, and you guys are usually smart and quick with an answer...

I'm looking for a good-quality 11x17 white paper, a little on the heavy side, that will show regular pencil markings well and - most importantly - be durable so as to stand up to repeated erasings (as durable as possible, at least). Oh, and printable by a 1200dpi B&W LaserJet.

Does such a beast exist? Anyone know how I can find out?

This is for a form I'm doing in Xara X - so it is kinda sorta on-topic!

Christopher Kirk
    Olympia, WA, USA

OK, this isn't strictly Xara-related, but I'm going out of my skull trying to find an answer here, and you guys are usually smart and quick with an answer...

I'm looking for a good-quality 11x17 white paper, a little on the heavy side, that will show regular pencil markings well and - most importantly - be durable so as to stand up to repeated erasings (as durable as possible, at least). Oh, and printable by a 1200dpi B&W LaserJet.

Does such a beast exist? Anyone know how I can find out?

This is for a form I'm doing in Xara X - so it is kinda sorta on-topic!

Christopher Kirk
    Olympia, WA, USA

Can't recommend to you of a specific paper for your needs, but you should ring up a major printer in your city to find a paper supplier. I use 'rag paper' (thick acid free) a lot but thats because I need archival quality, and I use it for painting/drawing but not computer prints. But sometimes I do push these extra-thick sheets through my HP 1200C inkjet and the results are fine. Even thick cardboard, with a continuous shove to keep it travelling... (my printers are disposable)
    But Lasers are a different type of printer so thick's not so good. However a paper supplier will have the options for you. One thing youll need is a duller surface than most printing papers that have glossy surface. These guys produce paper that wont soak up the ink, instead let it dry on the surface. You want the opposite. Of course pencil's not so good on them. A neutralised-acid wood-pulp cartridge paper such as is sold as 'drawing blocks' in art stores might be suitable, it comes in all sizes. If you want archival, Fabriano etc make nice semi-rag (50% rag/50% pulp) that is beautiful to work on with pencil, ink(..jet?) and pretty well archival.
    Here's a site I just found that talks about paper terms/quality etc. It's a start..
    http://www.genprint.com/p19.htm

Q

http://www.Qdesign.co.nz

Hi, Christopher,

I use this paper in my work and I've never been able to match it's durability, brightness and weight anywhere else: 11x17 Quantum 70# Smooth (I get it cut to legal size, but you should be able to use it straight at 11x17). It's ordered through Kelly Paper, which has offices throughout the country; see if you can find it in your area.

Prices may vary. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Good luck!

Thanks, guys! Quentin, I appreciate the tips, and Smorg, I'll give your suggestion a shot - it sounds perfect!

Christopher Kirk
    Olympia, Washington, USA