Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Can someone try this, please:

Import one or more photos (.psd, .jpg etc.) to XaraX, assign it/them web addresses (utilities menu) and try to export what you've done as a JPEG or other bitmap. Having spent a couple of evenings baffled by strange error messages &#8211 'An unknown error occurred while accessing an unnamed file' and 'An error occurred (file does not exist) when opening the file' &#8211 followed by some bizarre behaviour from my .xar files (like selection handles staying 'stuck' in one position when dragging, resizing or deleting), I'd like to know what happens if anyone else tries the same thing.

Removing the web addresses seems to restore everything (including export) to normal, but completely defeats my original plan, which was to make a photographic image map!

Can someone try it please (the export stage seems to play a vital part in mucking things up), and can anyone offer any explanation?

Peter</p>

Peat Stack or Pete's Tack?</p>
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bizarre.jpg 
Views:	222 
Size:	37.9 KB 
ID:	10239  

Can someone try this, please:

Import one or more photos (.psd, .jpg etc.) to XaraX, assign it/them web addresses (utilities menu) and try to export what you've done as a JPEG or other bitmap. Having spent a couple of evenings baffled by strange error messages &#8211 'An unknown error occurred while accessing an unnamed file' and 'An error occurred (file does not exist) when opening the file' &#8211 followed by some bizarre behaviour from my .xar files (like selection handles staying 'stuck' in one position when dragging, resizing or deleting), I'd like to know what happens if anyone else tries the same thing.

Removing the web addresses seems to restore everything (including export) to normal, but completely defeats my original plan, which was to make a photographic image map!

Can someone try it please (the export stage seems to play a vital part in mucking things up), and can anyone offer any explanation?

Peter</p>

Hi Peter,

I tried using a jpg image imported into Xara X and assigned an URL then exported as a jpg. After assigning a filename and the Export Bitmap Options dialog opened I clicked on the Image Map tab and selected to export to file then clicked the Export button. No errors occured and the resulting htm file opens without a problem with the image.

I'm running Windows ME on a 900MHz HP Pavilion with an NVidia Vanta graphics card.

Soquili [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Sorry it's taken me long to respond!

Having solved my problem (caused by assigning web addresses with an image map in mind but testing export file sizes etc. as a straight JPEG), I thought I'd try something else, which still seems worth reporting here. Copying an object with a web address from one .xar file to another and trying to export the new .xar as a straight bitmap (PNG, GIF, JPEG or whatever) produces the same symptoms as described above, which might be worth remembering in case you ever want to re-cycle something from an image map to a plain (i.e. not for image map) Xara file. Removing the web address from the copied object (before or after copying) solves the problem.

Try it and see! (Or have I just imagined it all?)

Peter</p>