Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Molds

I was trying to make a sector shape mold. Must have missed something. The fills looked tiled, and did not rotate properly. So, I used a standard shape to shape the image, and made a bitmap copy. I was looking for the image to be squeezed on one end to use in an eye drawing. I made a clipview to get the sector shape, and rotated the shapes. The color was from the bug found in the pool. Any place else to look for mold methods. Rich
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bug_color_eye.jpg 
Views:	412 
Size:	20.0 KB 
ID:	8636  

I was trying to make a sector shape mold. Must have missed something. The fills looked tiled, and did not rotate properly. So, I used a standard shape to shape the image, and made a bitmap copy. I was looking for the image to be squeezed on one end to use in an eye drawing. I made a clipview to get the sector shape, and rotated the shapes. The color was from the bug found in the pool. Any place else to look for mold methods. Rich

here? or here? or here?

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

<a href="http://www.gwpriester.com">
    www.gwpriester.com </a>

XaraXone

I have been reviewing the first tutorial. I get the impression that the shape was not drawn correctly. Not sure how. I did see mention of direction. Like the capability of shaping things.

I have retrieved the second tutorial, and printed it. Thanks for the help. Rich

I had drawn a sector envelope mold. Concave on one end and convex on the other. All curved lines, with the sides looking straight. The control points were not located exactly symmetrical, and the arcs were not uniform either. When the mold was applied to the bitmap, I got an uncontrollable tiling effect. Later,it did help to convert the bitmap to editable shapes, and readjust the ends with the shape editor tool. Never got anything to completely fill the mold, and it did not appear that this was going to be possible. After this, I tried converting the bitmap to editable shapes, and reforming it to a wedge shape. Then applied a prespective mold in the same direction as the bitmap. i.e. Small end to small end. This squeezed the small end even further, and expanded the larger end. The appearance was of a variable resolution. I then took the sector drawing and overlayed it onto the molded image and shaped the mold so the sector was covered. Placed the sector behind, and made a clipview. I am sure there are other ways beside this. Basically, the sector shape was completely filled. The image on one end appeared higher resolution, and gave some directional effect. I added my control line, and grouped the line and sector. Set the rotation point to the end of the line, and rotated the sectors using a couple of degrees of overlap. Got late... Ric

The only envelope that can be applied to a bitmap with any effect is the perspective or straight sided envelopes.

When you apply a curved sided envelope to a bitmap, all you are doing is masking the bitmap inside of the envelope. And sometimes this caused the bitmap to tile.

Bitmap editing applications such as PaintShop Pro, Corel Photo-Paint, or Adobe Photoshop can all distort bitmap shapes although I do not think you have the same controls you have with a vector envelope.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

<a href="http://www.gwpriester.com">
    www.gwpriester.com </a>

XaraXone

Name:	variations.jpg 
Views:	299 
Size:	35.1 KB 
ID:	7677  

An example of what I was seeing. Rich

Name:	Sector.jpg 
Views:	241 
Size:	13.8 KB 
ID:	4585  

Trying to repeat the effect. Rich

Name:	Brown.jpg 
Views:	233 
Size:	76.1 KB 
ID:	8364  

In the second example, I didn't see uniform deformation. I believe this effect is caused by tiling of sorts. The bitmap was shaped imperfectly with the shape editor tool. I was shaping visually. The mold was shaped visually, too. Both were non symmetrical, and imperfect. My guess is that the bitmap experienced a tiling effect giving it an illusion of directional shape. Rich