Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hi,

a while ago, there was a post about color pallettes, combinations and stuff.

I thought, I could program a utility for choosing color schemes.

Yeah right, I thought I could, but I ran into problems before I even knew it:

* How do you convert RGB-colors to HSB (and maybe even CMYK) ?? There must be a simple formula to it ..

* How do you calculate triads, complements and other useful combinations ??

Maybe the solution is obvious, but I am so bad in math ...

Thanks for pointing me to the right direction ...

Wolfgang

Hi,

a while ago, there was a post about color pallettes, combinations and stuff.

I thought, I could program a utility for choosing color schemes.

Yeah right, I thought I could, but I ran into problems before I even knew it:

* How do you convert RGB-colors to HSB (and maybe even CMYK) ?? There must be a simple formula to it ..

* How do you calculate triads, complements and other useful combinations ??

Maybe the solution is obvious, but I am so bad in math ...

Thanks for pointing me to the right direction ...

Wolfgang

is to use Sean Sedwards x-Port CMYK in the XaraXone Shareware Page

Not sure how Sean did it or if he would share his secrets with the world, but the filter is terrific for converting RGB bitmaps to CMYK.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

<a href="http://www.gwpriester.com">
    www.gwpriester.com </a>

XaraXone

Well Gary,

it's true that this is a great tool. Still I need a formula to convert RGB to HSB.

Every other paint program can do it, so this can't be a big issue. CMYK would be an added feature, but what I really need is RGB <-> HSB.

A bit of explanation: I collected some color combinations in a database. Now I want to make a PHP-based tool, so one can select a color and gets all the combinations where this color is included.
    The possibilities are endless, like saving your own combinations or having, for example, triads calculated from a base color.
    And besides Hex and Decimal RGB I would like to include the color definitions in HSB as well.

By the way, I found the thread with the color combinations, but it seem like the link went dead by now. I can't even reach www.about.com at all.
    Does anyone know what's going on there, I'like to ask for permission for their color schemes ...

Wolfgang

About.com is a site that primarily points to other peoples articles. Not sure if they have gone away or just having server problems.

If you select a color in the RGB Color Model and then switch to the HSV color model, you get the HSV values for the RGB color and vice versa. So what am I missing here?

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

<a href="http://www.gwpriester.com">
    www.gwpriester.com </a>

XaraXone

Geez, I am a really good artist, I work from "feel"...all this tech talk boggles my mind. but it did bring up a question that I know Gary or someone can answer.

I got XPal, it is wonderful, and I create the new .pal file and then put it in the pallete folder and it doesn't show up in the pallete on the bar below. I restart XaraX and all that, but no go. What is the deal, can someone help out here??

Something I did do which worked for Gary's dark and light pallete's is I put them in the templates folder, (they are both in .xar format). Restart Xara and go to the File/New and select one in the menu.

One suggestion for XaraX in a future is a revamping of the palette system. I really like the CorelDraw/PhotoPaint palettes, you can add as many as you want, they stay in place until you want them to go away. So if I wanted a skin tone palette, they have one that is all the variations of skin tones. It's really quite nice.

Seems that we are at the 1 year mark or there abouts, any word if there is another Xara version on it's way out any time soon??

Thank you

RAMWolff [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---

RamWolff...you have to tell xara you want to display that palette.

Open the color gallery. Right click on your new pallette. Choose "Show in color line".

Mickie

Hi Wolfgang,

If HSB is the same as HSL and you use Visual Basic 6.0 or can translate VB6 to the language you are using. The Microsoft Visual Basic 6.0 Developer's Workshop Fifth Edition chapter 29 has the answer you are looking for. It also has code to convert RGB to HSV (although there is a coding error in the book for this conversion).

If you can use VB6 code and can't find a copy of the book, email me.

Soquili
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

I have a rudimentary excel sheet I made long ago for converting RGB-CMYK. it is not perfect but close. See if it helps.

I will try and find the explanations I had gone thru to make it, but beware color conversion formulas and theories are very confusiong and tedious.

Q
    Attached Files Attached Files

Happy Wolff [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

RAMWolff [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---