Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: I think I am...

andalucía · españa and lower saxony · germany

on a toaster trip this week. I'm really convinced we need new shapes in our homes. Let's discover a new product generation - FIESTA!

And Paul: I'm waiting for your next cartoon on this one ;-}... so would you pls be so kind and post *your* input?

jens g.r. benthien
    designer
    http://www.sacalobra.de

----------//--
    If you don't know how to dream you'll never be a designer.
    ----------//--
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	toaster-new02.jpg 
Views:	221 
Size:	67.1 KB 
ID:	7967  
    --------------------//--
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
    --------------------//--

on a toaster trip this week. I'm really convinced we need new shapes in our homes. Let's discover a new product generation - FIESTA!

And Paul: I'm waiting for your next cartoon on this one ;-}... so would you pls be so kind and post *your* input?

jens g.r. benthien
    designer

----------//--
    ----------//--
    --------------------//--
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
    --------------------//--

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

Jens - I really like this design. Seeing it I had a thought (and it didn't even hurt). I noticed your cool settings dial and I wondered if it might be possible to have the dial's spindle extend all the way through the toaster soas to allow there to be a second dial on the opposite side. (Turn it on one side and it would turn on the other side too). That would allow the toaster to be put on the counter which ever way the owner desired.

Regards, Ross

PS - In our house a covered butter dish usually resides close to the toaster. Perhaps your design could have a matching butter dish??

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

I was just thinking about what I don't like about the designs of toasters I've had. My biggest peeve would probably be that the bread typically doesn't go in side enough. Frequently, the part of the bread sticking up gets under toasted relative to the rest. Sometimes if I'm watching it toast, I'll resort to popping it up early, rotating the bread and reactivating the toaster just to get more even toasting. It seems to me the design problem is that the slot heights typically don't match the real heights of bread all that well.

As a designer I can appreciate that if toasters could accommodate really tall pieces of bread then it would be really hard to get out a shorter piece - like a bagel. The typical height seems to be aimed at being most practical given the variety of sizes of bread products. On the otherhand, if the lifting mechanism were a little different perhaps it could lift higher and allow a higher slot to still accommodate a variety of bread heights.

Regards, Ross

<a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Jens - I really like this design. Seeing it I had a thought (and it didn't even hurt). I noticed your cool settings dial and I wondered if it might be possible to have the dial's spindle extend all the way through the toaster soas to allow there to be a second dial on the opposite side. (Turn it on one side and it would turn on the other side too). That would allow the toaster to be put on the counter which ever way the owner desired. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've already included this 'feature' with a 'mirrored dial', because I'm trying to develop more versatile products - see my post 'Need a toast to roast' http://talkgraphics.infopop.net/1/Op...1&m=3631959416

That one is perfect for the breakfast table, and it has huge slots for gigantic toasts ;-}

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>In our house a covered butter dish usually resides close to the toaster. Perhaps your design could have a matching butter dish??<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I **could** develop a complete line of products, but hell, as long as the customers don't pay for it... in addition I would develop a butter dish made of stainless steel, not plastic, for hygene reasons. I have one from former times, but that's past & history, so I don't post it here.

This toaster is a 'sample' for a manufacturer in Far East - one of a series, and it will have a plastic case for the reason to keep production costs down.

The slots for the toast are almost 6 x 6 inches, 1.25 inches wide, so any size of toast should fit in there.

Did you notice the 3-point stand? So it will be sturdy even on a rough surface - try this with any other toaster in this world (they all feature 4 'legs' - extremely bad for 'uneven' surfaces like rough granite or a table made of historic planks)

I really wonder why people purchase this lousy stuff from wanna-be-designer who didn't even try to use their brains, not to mention use a ruler to check against actual & real life conditions.

I've purchased a real monster toaster, a limited edition design piece from a small German manufacturer 4 or 5 years ago. Weighs more than a street canal lid, did cost a fortune, but you can toast a hughe European size bun in it. One looong, deeeeep and wiiiide slot for up to 3 large toasts in a row. Very handy, and a perfect weapon to bomb Irak ;-}. Nice side effect: if you clean the kitchen you definitely can't wipe it accidentially off the board - it's like glued to the granite. On the other hand: if you drop it accidentially onto your feet, you'll spend at least 4 weeks in hospital.

So I know what you are talking about: not cheap - well thought is the credo.

jens

jens g.r. benthien
    designer

----------//--
    ----------//--
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	toaster-new03.jpg 
Views:	183 
Size:	84.7 KB 
ID:	13086  
    --------------------//--
    --------------------//--