Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

I have a friend who made the mistake of telling a shop assistant that she wanted to buy a computer to work with photographs and ended up with a Mac. Going from bad to worse, her photo lab has scanned her negatives onto CD in BMP format, which is not supported by the native software. The lab recommended she buy PhotoShop, but I suggested she try a free or shareware program first so she'd have a better idea of what she actually needed.

Hence, can anyone give me a pointer to a downloadable photo-manipulation package for Mac?

Regards - Sean
    Regards - Sean

I have a friend who made the mistake of telling a shop assistant that she wanted to buy a computer to work with photographs and ended up with a Mac. Going from bad to worse, her photo lab has scanned her negatives onto CD in BMP format, which is not supported by the native software. The lab recommended she buy PhotoShop, but I suggested she try a free or shareware program first so she'd have a better idea of what she actually needed.

Hence, can anyone give me a pointer to a downloadable photo-manipulation package for Mac?

Regards - Sean
    Regards - Sean

http://www.corel.com/draw8mac_le/ (free download)
    http://xlink.zdnet.com/cgi-bin/texis...+for+MAC&db=zd (this long link is to "photo editors for Mac" at ZDNet)
    http://cnet.com/downloads/0-10005.ht....more.dl_10005 (the Mac download page at CNet)

This should be a starting point for learning what's out there. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Sell the Mac and buy a big PC with loads of software and a good scanner and an good photo-printer, and for what's still left of your money: send me a good bottle of single malt Whisky for the suggestion. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

If you don't work against time, time often works for you.

True Story ::
    Friend, who is a DV film maker, told me he was going to MacWorld. I asked "why?", since he works on the PC platform and doesn't have a Mac.

He said that PC conferences are full of nerdy guys, but MacWorld is full of gorgeous women.

Just a thought ........Tad.. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

My choice would have been the free Corel products, but a more sensible option for a non-techie is probably Adobe Elements. This avoids me hanging around for a 56Mb download (she had a demo CD) and allows her to learn it via evening classes for Photoshop. Being familiar with PS will be a useful skill.

P.S. A 64Mb IMac with 20Gb HD was 5 - 10 times slower running Elements than a Pentium 120 / 32Mb running PhotoShop!

Regards - Sean
    Regards - Sean

andalucía · españa and lower saxony · germany

Sean,

you should check http://www.pl32.com

The application PhotoLine is a full fledged software package, as powerful as Photoshop and available for Win and Mac -> xplatform!

30 days trial, and if you register it's less than US$ 100... a real good deal.

jens
    --------------------//--
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
    --------------------//--