Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Regardless of what modeling app you use, eventually, you need to use typography, even if it's only extruded text to fly around (often called, dispasrigingly, "dancing baloney"). And that means using fonts. Which one is best? I've concluded that your choice of fonts to make up a personal collection depends entirtely unpon the operating system and the applications you use.

Me? I've collected an enormous amount of Type 1 fonts (requires Adobe Type Manager), because I made my bread doing desktop publishing, and that means PostScript for everything. However, many, if not all, modeling apps require TrueType. My solution is to hot swap Type 1s for TrueType---it helps to own FontLab to do a lightning fast format change (Pyrus Software).

Here's the kicker. Yep, I run XP, and XP REALLY likes OpenType. Fine. I have some OpenType, and FontLab can convert to from. But guess what? Only XARA, Illustrator, and entry level modeling programs such as Dimensions can "see" OpenType. That is why I'm posting the Vases typeface in TrueType here in the following message.

I wish the makers of XARA 3D version 5 would get with the program and read Type 1s, and ALSO to allow the creation of a screen saver to XP without having to pay $14 for an Intel codec for XP, while codecs for me and Win 2000 are free! Webmaster, you reading this? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] Heck, I'll write to XARA on this myself.

Try loading the Vases TT font in your favorite modeling app, rotate the goldfish bowl, and then extrude the fish.

Cheers.

Gary David Bouton
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	goldfishbolwl.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	28.9 KB 
ID:	6345  

Regardless of what modeling app you use, eventually, you need to use typography, even if it's only extruded text to fly around (often called, dispasrigingly, "dancing baloney"). And that means using fonts. Which one is best? I've concluded that your choice of fonts to make up a personal collection depends entirtely unpon the operating system and the applications you use.

Me? I've collected an enormous amount of Type 1 fonts (requires Adobe Type Manager), because I made my bread doing desktop publishing, and that means PostScript for everything. However, many, if not all, modeling apps require TrueType. My solution is to hot swap Type 1s for TrueType---it helps to own FontLab to do a lightning fast format change (Pyrus Software).

Here's the kicker. Yep, I run XP, and XP REALLY likes OpenType. Fine. I have some OpenType, and FontLab can convert to from. But guess what? Only XARA, Illustrator, and entry level modeling programs such as Dimensions can "see" OpenType. That is why I'm posting the Vases typeface in TrueType here in the following message.

I wish the makers of XARA 3D version 5 would get with the program and read Type 1s, and ALSO to allow the creation of a screen saver to XP without having to pay $14 for an Intel codec for XP, while codecs for me and Win 2000 are free! Webmaster, you reading this? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] Heck, I'll write to XARA on this myself.

Try loading the Vases TT font in your favorite modeling app, rotate the goldfish bowl, and then extrude the fish.

Cheers.

Gary David Bouton

In the zip file is a StuffIt file for the Mac with the Mac version of Vases TT.

BTW, any money I get from fonts I post goes to charity, so if you are feeling charitable with the holidays coming up, contact me and I'll send you the Bouton fonts catalogue, handsomely done in PDF format.

Cheers,
    Gary@NoSpamGaryworld.com
    Attached Files Attached Files