Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

I've never been one for keeping up to date with the latest releases - still holding the likes of Corel Draw7 (althought there is plenty of XaraX dust sitting on the Corel box).

So I've been working with C4Dv5 for some time and I'm happy with it's output.

While I know £80 is a bargin price for V6 I don't see the point in paying any money if there is not alot of difference. I have run it up, and noticed the interface is changed, so before I spend hours getting into it (which sadly I don't have right now) can my good friends here show me some examples of things that are a lot easier to do, or just can't be done in V5.

Hope you can help - it's a chance to show off

Things I have noticed, are that holding your cursor over an icon DOSEN'T!!! tell you what that cursor does - and that put me off right away. It took me an hour looking through the 650page pdf - were I did notice you can change to text buttons, but in skiming throught the other 649 pages to see what else was new I need to try and find that page again.

Turan

I've never been one for keeping up to date with the latest releases - still holding the likes of Corel Draw7 (althought there is plenty of XaraX dust sitting on the Corel box).

So I've been working with C4Dv5 for some time and I'm happy with it's output.

While I know £80 is a bargin price for V6 I don't see the point in paying any money if there is not alot of difference. I have run it up, and noticed the interface is changed, so before I spend hours getting into it (which sadly I don't have right now) can my good friends here show me some examples of things that are a lot easier to do, or just can't be done in V5.

Hope you can help - it's a chance to show off

Things I have noticed, are that holding your cursor over an icon DOSEN'T!!! tell you what that cursor does - and that put me off right away. It took me an hour looking through the 650page pdf - were I did notice you can change to text buttons, but in skiming throught the other 649 pages to see what else was new I need to try and find that page again.

Turan

With no feedback from anyone else, I started the tut and I'm starting to see the differences - it is nice.

But as I seem to see few C4D postings here I would still question the C4D direction.

In a last attempt, I'm raising this to the etop to see if there is any more feedback I can get on this.

Turan

andalucía · españa and lower saxony · germany

sorry for the late reply. I had C4D 5 and then switched to C4D 7 directly. As far as I know the biggest difference is in the NURBS technology, the deformers which you can turn on and off, a faster and much more improved rendering, more plug-ins...

Though I don't know if the rendering speed increased again from v6 to v7, I know that the rendering is a **lot** better and faster in v7 than in v5.

If you don't model too much with C4D and want to keep your funds, stay with v5. I'm still running v5 on my laptop because it has certain features I'm missing in v7. Especially if you don't plan to use radiosity and caustic (which are really mem hungry and force your machine to the knees for hours), well, stick with v5. Just my very personal opinion.

For example I'm still using a 7 year old CAD app, because I know it inside out and it's fast. I never upgraded (it was the final version!) to another product.

In short words: if the tool you are using fulfills it's purpose, it doesn't make sense to trash it.

Oh yes, I might be a bit outdated or of the past, but I'm still using my 300 MHz (!) P one laptop with CAD, XARA X, Corel 7, Ashlar apps, you name it, and I'm driving a 16 year old 2.8 ton offroader. My saw is 30 years old, and sometimes I use gypsum to model objects ;-}

And I spent the money I saved on skipping the upgrade to C4D v8 for a nice dinner!

Maybe these lines will answer your question?

All the best,

jens g.r. benthien
    designer
    http://www.sacalobra.de

----------//--
    If you don't know how to dream you'll never be a designer.
    ----------//--
    --------------------//--
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
    --------------------//--

Jens Thanks for the response.

I have been working mainly on technical models for a company, so while I'd love to play with C4D more, my main work does not need NURBS (I think I'm right in saying that, as NURBS allow for better free form objects).

For that reason I think I'll stick with V5 for a while. But I did enjoy the V6 tut.

Turan
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sample.jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	16.5 KB 
ID:	8804  

Turan the Dragon I have been making is all C4D.

Version 7 and 8 you would probably love