Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Okay, I'm a techie novice and I haven't a clue whats up with my compo - am very much hoping that one of you will though!

I can open .pdf files that I already have saved in my computer but ANY .pdf file that I try to download from the web doesn't/won't/refuses to open. All that is showning on the screen is a little square with a red square, green triangle and blue circle.

I never used to have this problem until recently and can't think what I might have done to caused it.

Please, please, help

Mags
    IP

Okay, I'm a techie novice and I haven't a clue whats up with my compo - am very much hoping that one of you will though!

I can open .pdf files that I already have saved in my computer but ANY .pdf file that I try to download from the web doesn't/won't/refuses to open. All that is showning on the screen is a little square with a red square, green triangle and blue circle.

I never used to have this problem until recently and can't think what I might have done to caused it.

Please, please, help

Mags
    IP

Hi Mags,

Is the square with a the red square, green triangle and blue circle showing on the web page or on your hard drive? Did you recently install Windows XP Service Pack 2? If the square icon is on your hard drive, when you click on it does explorer show the number of bytes in the file? If the number of bytes is larger than 0 you can try right clicking on the icon and then selection Open With and then selecting Acrobat Reader. If the number of bytes is 0 and you recently installed XP SP2 then the new security settings may have prevented the file from downloading.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update
    IP

hi Mags,

You could have a goofed up setting in your browser, or... the site could be goofed up. If you want to check another site. Go to IRS.gov they have lots of PDFs that should work. do a search for 1040...
    IP

Thanks so much you guys.

The wee square with the red square etc, etc is showing on the webpage.

No, haven't installed any Windows Service packs lately.

Definately not the site, tried our own IR website and numerous others still getting the blasted wee square and no page opening.

It definately must be something to do with the downloading, no problem at all opening .pdf files I already have on my hard drive.

I was mucking about with my internet settings a wee while ago, could it be that? It only seems to be affecting the downloading/opening of .pdf files. I can download fonts, etc with no problem.

Any suggestions?

Thanks again

Mags
    IP

Hi Mags,
    I have the same problem. Clicking on a link to a PDF file results in a blank page. Probably something I did in the past 6mo to cause ... not really a problem. I just right click and select "save as" and download the PDF to a temp directory and then select "open" once downloaded. I clear my temp directories every couple of days. A little annoying ... but not a major problem.
    IP

Hi Mags,

you could always try restoring defaults if you use IE as your Broswer. see pretty pic...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1upload.jpg 
Views:	250 
Size:	46.4 KB 
ID:	2473  
    IP

Nice try John ... but restoring defaults does not bring the PDF fairy back to MY machine http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

Name:	Missing_PDF.jpg 
Views:	262 
Size:	26.9 KB 
ID:	15778  
    IP

It works now! ... the PDF fairy is back.

Mags,
    Try downloading the latest version of Acrobat viewer from the Adobe website ... worked for me.

Name:	PDF_working.jpg 
Views:	244 
Size:	39.3 KB 
ID:	6400  
    IP

ooooohhhhhhhhh....please let it be something as simple as restore factory defaults. Off to try.

and will also download the latest viewer

.......fingers crossed
    IP