Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default popup layer refuses to respond

Hi guys(and Gals) another strange one that I need to solve and is driving me nuts. I have set up a local magazine site and have the main pages on Xara with links to flip pages in yumpu (experimenting with the free version)

I have issue 1,2,3,etc buttons on the main index page (circular individuals ) . Each is linked to a popup layer where an placeholder holds the code for the issue held at Yumpu. I-frame code supplied by them for each issue. I have completed issues 1,5 and 6 and other issues have a popup with "not available yet" message and will be activated when issue design is complete.

The problem is that issue 5 and back issue 1 work fine but for the life of me I cannot get the issue 6 popup to open. I have changed the button and used new layers and even used a navbar but the no 6 will not open the popup. I have gone back to the Yumpu site and changed some of the variable to see if it was the yumpu coding but again nothing I try will make the **!!dy thing work

Help! with a capitol H

As usual I am sure it is something small I have missed.

Ken

Default Re: popup layer refuses to respond

Quote Originally Posted by mentorman View Post
    Hi guys(and Gals) another strange one that I need to solve and is driving me nuts. I have set up a local magazine site and have the main pages on Xara with links to flip pages in yumpu (experimenting with the free version)

I have issue 1,2,3,etc buttons on the main index page (circular individuals ) . Each is linked to a popup layer where an placeholder holds the code for the issue held at Yumpu. I-frame code supplied by them for each issue. I have completed issues 1,5 and 6 and other issues have a popup with "not available yet" message and will be activated when issue design is complete.

The problem is that issue 5 and back issue 1 work fine but for the life of me I cannot get the issue 6 popup to open. I have changed the button and used new layers and even used a navbar but the no 6 will not open the popup. I have gone back to the Yumpu site and changed some of the variable to see if it was the yumpu coding but again nothing I try will make the **!!dy thing work

Help! with a capitol H

As usual I am sure it is something small I have missed.

Ken
    Ken, check in the Page and Layers gallery that the layers are in the right sequence and the Layer for Button 6 is not below MouseOff or MouseOver layers.
    Click the Locate button so it is on and then select Button 6.
    Check it is topmost of any other objects and that it is on M-Off/M-Over layers.
    Check it have a working link - it is selecting the Layer for Button 6.

Temporarily, change the link to anything else and see if that works.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Hi Acorn sorry for delay in coming back to you but life sometimes gets in the way!
    I have been through every permutation including re-designing buttons copying buttons and resetting html in the placeholders.Layers appear to all be where they should be but will check that all out completely.
    As I had to get this up and running I have resorted to putting the placeholders on the index page with the individual codes direct to the yumpu site. Unfortunately these are time consuming in having to load all at the same time and will slow the site down as I add more issues so I need to get the popup layer problem solved so am inclined to strip out all the layers and start again.
    site for your info is cradleyenquirer.com

Site still not completed but running so comments appreciated. Am using the Yumpu free version until it can justify the paid one.

Cheers

Ken

Ken,

I took a look at your site. If you want to host the magazine on your site, you may want to take a look at Pageflip Manager. It looks like it will do everything that you are using Yumpu for and Pageflip has a free version.

As far as the web page, a couple changes that I would make. You have the email address of the editor at the top of the page. Why don't you use an email icon and put the address as a link? Currently when a person wants to email the editor they have to copy the address with a link it will pull up email window.

You have pictures of the issues and buttons. It appears you use the buttons for the issues not displayed by a picture. This is a little confusing to me. Also, typically I see the heading under the picture unless you emphasize how the heading above the picture is for that picture. I got confused on the lower pictures for which issue was which.

I under stand this is still a work in progress. Keep at it, it is coming together.

Side question did you use Xara to make the magazine or some other software?

Ray

Hi RKissane, thanks for the comments which are always welcome as we can get stuck in our own little world of perfection too easily. The point on the email is valid and will when I use all of the linking available on the Yumpu site
    I did some research before I ventured down this magazine route and looked at page flip but on balance decided on Yumpu and am using their free one until I get it all trimmed and doing what I envisage.
    The issue pictures are a compromise at the moment and are generated from the Yumpu code in placeholders with titles included and the placeholder has the display box ticked in the setup. As there was a need to get the magazine online as an alternative to ending up with a massive xara site over time the magazine option seemed the best. Once it is running as I want I will look at the basic paid for option which removes advertising stc and opens up more formatting options (only about £7 per month)

I would prefer to have each issue callable from a button to a layer as the link to the issue will only activate when called rather than all issues needing to be linked whenever the site is opened (as in what is temporarily there at the moment)

The magazine is completely produced by Yumpu from a pdf of what I want so I design each page using Xara, pics from the library, export as pdf and upload to Yumpu who produce the magazine from the pdf and generate the code for inserting in the placeholder.

Learning curve is definitely smoothing out and I think it is integrating with Xara quite well

Ken

I would prefer to have each issue callable from a button to a layer as the link to the issue will only activate when called rather than all issues needing to be linked whenever the site is opened (as in what is temporarily there at the moment)
    As far as I'm aware, when a page is loaded all the assets are loaded, including content on layers, visible or not.

As there was a need to get the magazine online as an alternative to ending up with a massive xara site over time the magazine option seemed the best.
    As you are creating these pages within Xara why not just create sub-sites in sub-folders for each edition? At present I couldn't say whether the Yumpu pages are SEO friendly, probably being made up of page sized bitmaps.
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Thanks Egg, I understand what you are saying but whilst I had the problem with layers refusing to open I got round it by placing three placeholders on th eindex page which meant the all had to load in view rather than in the layer or subsite thus giving the impression of a slow loading opening page.

Have resolved the layer issue by going back to basics and ripping them all out and starting again and it seems to be working ok since I uploaded it.

Thanks again for the help efficient as usual

Ken