Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Printer?

Hi Guys,

I haven't posted for a while- I've been far too busy, working and trying to move house (the latter ain't gonna happen- we've given up 'cos we can't find a place we like & can afford), though I've been trying to log on and read the forum when I can find the time- there's some great stuff happening here.

We're upgrading our home PC- buying a new, much quicker machine, and a modem so we'll be on-line at home as well as work (partly because I'm going to be working from home- my contract here runs out in five weeks and I'm 95% sure it isn't going to be renewed- not that I'm sorry about that- I'm fed up with my job). No, I'm not doing physics at home (would be difficult, given the branch of physics I work in!), but some writing, details of which I won't go into here- it's a complicated situation!

Anyway, as part of that reorganisation of our life, 'the management' thinks we ought to buy a new printer, and I'm looking for recommendations. Needs to be a colour inkjet, and with fairly decent reproduction- I do a fair bit of digital photography and it would be nice to be able to print hard-copies for 'neanderthals' (i.e. non-computer owners!), as well as all the usual letters, Xara X pictures, etc. Price: I guess up to about GBP250 (USD300, given that I live in 'Rip-Off-Britain?).

Thoughts anyone?

Thanks very much,
    Phi

Trust the computer industry to shorten 'Year 2000' to 'Y2K'. It was this sort of thinking that caused the problem in the first place.
    Trust the computer industry to shorten 'Year 2000' to 'Y2K'. It was this sort of thinking that caused the problem in the first place.

Hi Guys,

I haven't posted for a while- I've been far too busy, working and trying to move house (the latter ain't gonna happen- we've given up 'cos we can't find a place we like & can afford), though I've been trying to log on and read the forum when I can find the time- there's some great stuff happening here.

We're upgrading our home PC- buying a new, much quicker machine, and a modem so we'll be on-line at home as well as work (partly because I'm going to be working from home- my contract here runs out in five weeks and I'm 95% sure it isn't going to be renewed- not that I'm sorry about that- I'm fed up with my job). No, I'm not doing physics at home (would be difficult, given the branch of physics I work in!), but some writing, details of which I won't go into here- it's a complicated situation!

Anyway, as part of that reorganisation of our life, 'the management' thinks we ought to buy a new printer, and I'm looking for recommendations. Needs to be a colour inkjet, and with fairly decent reproduction- I do a fair bit of digital photography and it would be nice to be able to print hard-copies for 'neanderthals' (i.e. non-computer owners!), as well as all the usual letters, Xara X pictures, etc. Price: I guess up to about GBP250 (USD300, given that I live in 'Rip-Off-Britain?).

Thoughts anyone?

Thanks very much,
    Phi

they print decent color photos and are in your price range.

best Epson i've ever used...on top resolution printing onto photo paper is truly stunning!!! it's about £90 in CURRYS DIXONS etc. The Intellidge smart cartridges can now be "doctored" with a cheap little gadget so They are now cheap again (Ha! Ha! Ha! EPSON!!!)
    its also great for the more mundane stuff too
    go for it Phil!!!

cheers
    eric

Phil, this is probably an obvious suggestion, but just make sure that there are adequate hardware drivers for what ever operating system you decide upon for your new PC.

Phil,
    Unless you spring for the $$$ for Epson's 2000P, use THEIR inks and THEIR premium paper, your photos probably won't last three weeks. BUT, don't believe me. Do your own testing.
    Since you are a Physicist, you probably know enough chemistry to realize that unless catalyzing is involved, nothing is likely to last.
    And, as a scientist, you surely realize that the claims of "color scientists" need to be substantiated by independentent (your own) testing. The inkjet industry is a digital disgrace, and the profanity filter prevents my further comment.
    Regards,,,Tad..
    ps. I doubt the 2000P is going to last either

I don't know what Tad is on about but we have a calendar printed back last December that is as bright now as it was when it was printed - and this was printed on an Epson 600 printer at 1440dpi. We also have another calendar that was printed out about 21 months ago and theres no noticeable deterioration in that one either.

Recently we thought the 600 had packed so got another printer, and guess what we went for another Epson, the 680 costing about 69GBP at Comet. I've since managed to recover the 600 so we now have two serviceable Epson printers and we're not sorry either. Great printers.

Tracey

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

Idea for TraceyP - Sell that extra printer to your friend Phil. Treat your friend nice - with a fair price.

I have an Epson Stylus 1520. It's nice - will print a 11"x17" with same quality as its little brothers. Funny thing is I hardly ever print out xara drawings.

Regards, Ross

<a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>

[This message was edited by Ross Macintosh on August 22, 2001 at 18:11.]

I've got an Epson Stylus Color 777 nearly new. It was CAD $149 plus 14% (!!) tax. I have no complaints, except that I've paid the price of the printer all over again if I replace the cartridges three times.

I would appreciate it if someone knowledgable out there would give me a few dips on settings. Say I want to scan a photo for a card I'm creating, and I want to print it on say, matt paper heavyweight? what resolution would I want to use for scanning and what resolution for printing?

Appreciate any help.

Folks, I tend to get a bit overworked on the inkjet printer issue. I was an EARLY adopter because finally, we could print in color after all those years. But an inkjet is only good for proofing because the inks fade, fade, fade away. And though you may not notice, it IS happening.

YEARS have passed. Manufacturers have made spurious claims of longevity. Graphic designers usually only care long enough to get the project signed off, but artists are being misled into thinking their work is "archival".

Admittedly, nothing lasts forever; but I have seen magenta fade in ONE DAY. Fortunately, there are options to produce long lasting (say 100 year) prints. Lambda & Lightjet come to mind. And, in fact, the Epson 2000P is showing great "promise" in my fade tests.

The key here is to DO YOUR OWN FADE TESTS. Do NOT believe the "color scientists". It is easy. Print out something colorful, fold in half, tape in sunny window for four months, remove & view. If you see NOTICEABLE fading, face it, your inks are doodly-squat, qualitywise. If you can't wait four months, check once a week.
    Tell me I'm wrong "after" you try it.

Not hostile, just fed-up ,,,,,,,Tad