Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Could I kindly ask forum members to carefuly consider the size of the files that they are uploading to the forums.
    I've noticed lately that some files are almost reaching 200 Kb's (These are jpg's, which must therefore be exported at 100%!?!?) For Xarian's with dial up connections, revisiting a thread with with such a large file within it makes it very difficult to view newer postings.
    Egg
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Could I kindly ask forum members to carefuly consider the size of the files that they are uploading to the forums.
    I've noticed lately that some files are almost reaching 200 Kb's (These are jpg's, which must therefore be exported at 100%!?!?) For Xarian's with dial up connections, revisiting a thread with with such a large file within it makes it very difficult to view newer postings.
    Egg
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Seconded!

Tonylondon
    Tony

Some image guidelines for you new members.

Try to keep the width of your images to 640 pixels (unless there is a definite reason to do so--such as in the case of Paul Söderholm's image of the many walking the dog in the storm image) and set your JPEG compression as low as you can set it (80 to 50 usually produces a good image without too much noticable deterioration of image quality) when you export the JPEG.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

<a href="http://www.gwpriester.com">
    www.gwpriester.com </a>

XaraXone

I dont think I know how to do this can someone tell me what program to do this where and how?
    thank you [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	compression.jpg 
Views:	264 
Size:	61.0 KB 
ID:	14669  
    Egg

thank you! thank you! thank you! thank you! thank you! thank you! thank you! thank you! thank you! thank you! thank you! thank you! thank you! thank you! thank you! thank you! thank you! thank you! thank you! thank you! thank you! thank you! thank you! thank you! thank you! thank you! thank you! thank you! thank you! thank you! thank you! thank you! thank you! thank you! thank you! thank you!
    [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

Is that really what you do? - I'm refering to the adjusting the size in the main window as you suggest.

I rarely pay any attention to that. I only give such matters as pixel dimensions attention when I export - from within the export dialog box. Your screen capture shows the 'Bitmap Size' tab - in that part of the dialog box I specify the size of image I want to generate.

With regards to Gary's suggestion of 640pixels - I hope everyone will see that as a maximum. Judgement should be used --- there are many times when a 400 to 550 pixel width image will do just fine (particularly if it is a 'tall' image). The point is to avoid unnecessary bandwidth and have faster forum performance, and encourage the participation of our modem-challenged friends. They may be slow but we love them.

Regards, Ross

<a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>

Isn't it odd how we use Xara differently between us all. I always select the image on the screen, resize it to a suitable pixel size, with aspect lock on, then turn it off to get exact pixel sizes. I've NEVER used the pixel size option in the export dialogue box!
    Egg
    Egg

that any image under 73kb was acceptable??? That's what I have been doing all along. Sometimes a slightly larger than normal image is needed to show off the details better. In needing that slightly larger size I still make sure I export the image as a .jpg putting BMP Quality slider down between 75% to 50% with out loss of crispness/quality of the image.

And like Ross I have a warning in the subject line if it's a thread that I've started...if the image IS a larger file size then I post that in parentheses ((101Kb) "example image", enjoy!!)(example).

Richard [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

http://www.imira.com/Album/photo.asp...0810&ImgType=0
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---