Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Licence

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>You are permitted to:
    (1) load or download the Software and use it only on a single client computer which is under your personal control;

(2) transfer the Software from one computer to another provided it is used on only one computer at any one time; <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>While browsing through the help files this morning, I saw the licence terms (copied in part above). I know from having asked Microsoft by telephone and from having email confirmation from Macromedia that I can install Office2003Pro and StudioMX2004 onto both my desktop and my laptop at the same time. (I am a sole trader, so it would be impossible for both to be used at the same time, so that's not an issue really.)

I wouldn't begrudge Xara another $149 (it is, after all, less than 1/4 the price of StudioMX2004 or Office2003Pro (or even one component of each), and I use it far more than either of the others). Should I have bought a second licence? I must own up, I have had the software on both my laptop and my desktop all along http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/redface.gif

The second part of the quote above, I presume, applies where I buy a new PC - redeploying my old machine for some other task while I install Xara X onto the new one?

Daniel,

From the FAQ:
    Can I install my copy of Xara X onto more than one computer?
    Yes, you can install your copy of Xara X onto as many computers as you want - so long as you are the only user. For example, you could install it on your work PC, and also your home PC. Xara reserves the right to withdraw this facility from anyone it suspects of abusing it.

The licence text is Lawyer-Speak that says the same as the Plain-English in the FAQ!

AlexL

Thanks Alex, and thanks Xara - it is a very brave/generous move, especially with the Product Activation systems that Microsoft and Macromedia are starting to use.

I *thought* that I could install Dreamweaver MX (the version before MX 2004) onto two machines at once - I didn't actually check. One day I had left Dreamweaver running on my desktop, and fired up my laptop to retrieve a file from it. Both machines' copies of Dreamweaver locked up and had windows over the front of the rest of the screen saying "More than one copy of this single licence of Dreamweaver is running"!

Thankfully Macromedia are now not as Draconion now with MX2004, though only just. You are entitled to "two activations" (one desktop, one laptop I presume). Apparantly you are supposed to 'deactivate' an installation if you'd like to run it on a new PC. Too bad I didn't realise that before reformatting one day - it thought I was asking for a third activation even though I was on the original PC.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Daniel:

Macromedia .... Too bad I didn't realise that before reformatting one day - it thought I was asking for a third activation even though I was on the original PC. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

How did it know you were installing it for a third time?? Are you on line each time you are installing?? Were you networking the files between computers the first time around?? Not that I'm planning on spending bukoo bucks for their products but boy that does seem kind of creepy to me!! http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/eek.gif
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RAMWolff:
    How did it know you were installing it for a third time?? Are you on line each time you are installing?? Were you networking the files between computers the first time around?? Not that I'm planning on spending bukoo bucks for their products but boy that does seem kind of creepy to me!! http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/eek.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, my laptop and desktop were on the same local network when I opened Dreamweaver on the laptop.

And, yes, to install Dreamweaver MX 2004 requires an online activation.

Big Brother is watching you.

Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---

I personally think that some of the measures by companies such as Macromedia are over the top. Much in the same way you get "copy protection" on CDs, all it does is annoy the people who actually pay and won't stop piracy.

I buy the music CDs I like. I could go download them off file sharing, but I buy them. But then I get CDs like the Sarah McLachlan one I got recently that won't let me play it in Media Player. So I have to rip the CD to listen to MP3s. What logic is there in that? People who want to copy it will, there's always a way, so the moves are pointless.

Annoys me very much.
    I'd start a revolution, if I could get up in the morning.

Box Elder, SD - Home of the Sick, Twisted and totally Perverted...

I will second that Antony!
    John/DOT