Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Missing Text in Xara File

Working on the font short cut thing you mentioned Mike.

Red

Big Plan Creative - Napoleon had one . . . Einstein had one . . . Do you have one?

Ok, so I found the issue and solution. It is the font short cut issue you reported Mike. For others who might have this problem I'll post how resolved it.

On the computer with the issue the text in our Xar files using fonts that were short cuts through a font management utility was gone. We were unable to know what the font missing was. Just and empty space in our file. We had to open the Xar file on another computer to get the font name that was missing. Once we had that, here's what we did to correct the missing text.

First, the issue is with a recent Windows 10 update. Microsoft has changed how it uses linked fonts and by default turns them off. You have to re-enable them if you want to use them, you need to explicitly set the Windows Font options to allow shortcuts - Control Panel > Fonts > Font Settings > Check the box - Allow fonts to be installed using a shortcut.

That doesn't totally solve the problem however. After changing that setting you will need to uninstall all font shortcuts and reinstall them. Once that is done the missing text will show again in the Xar file.

It isn't easy to see what font is a shortcut and what is not in Windows. I hope this might help someone with the same challenge.

Carl

Red

Big Plan Creative - Napoleon had one . . . Einstein had one . . . Do you have one?

Glad you found the culprit, Carl.

And a little update from me, too Carl.

OK. If one finds that text is unavailable or that font shortcuts are apparently missing after a reboot or a wake-up from a suspended state, a subsequent reboot is suppose to restore them. So sayeth MS anyway. However, I have read some reports that this resolved it and others that it didn't. I would assume different font managers deal with the shortcuts differently than others.

However, Microsoft is aware of the issue and is working on a fix. That fix didn't arrive at the this Patch Tuesday's build, but there is hope it'll be worked into next months build.

Mike