Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default FIlling a parallelogram. How?

Hello all.

I need to amend a picture of my house and add some cladding to an extension. This is for visualisation purposes. As with all pictures there are no nice neat rectangles.

So to get the inclined parallelogram I need to draw to represent the strip cladding I have to do it with lines. But this new enclosed box will not fill. I can fill shapes but they are not parallelograms so do not work.

Any ideas how to either fill the line parallelogram of generate the shape and manipulate it so it takes on the form I need.

Thanks

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Clading snip.JPG 
Views:	184 
Size:	25.7 KB 
ID:	118410

Default Re: FIlling a parallelogram. How?

close shape.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

I'm not sure how well you know Xara, but if you click on the rectangle tool and draw a rectangle, you can click on the rectangle to show the control points in the diagram on the left, and if you click and drag the double headed arrow you can pull it to the shape you want.
    It sounds as though what you have done is draw lines, but they are not all connected to each other (so they will not fill as they are not a shape).
    Bob.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.png 
Views:	93 
Size:	8.0 KB 
ID:	118411  
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

To add to what Bob and Larry have suggested, Tim, only a closed shape can be filled. If you select your parallelogram and in the lower left it reads One Line Selected (or words to that effect) then your object is not a closed shape.

So if this is the case, with the object selected, switch to the Shape Tool (F4), select the first or last control point and press Enter.

If you cannot tell which is the first or last control point, when you switch to the Shape Tool, press the Tab key one time. This will highlight the first control point. Then press Enter and your shape should be filled.

If not let us know and we'll try plan B.

Quote Originally Posted by iamtheblues View Post
    I'm not sure how well you know Xara, but if you click on the rectangle tool and draw a rectangle, you can click on the rectangle to show the control points in the diagram on the left, and if you click and drag the double headed arrow you can pull it to the shape you want.
    It sounds as though what you have done is draw lines, but they are not all connected to each other (so they will not fill as they are not a shape).
    Bob.
    At first I thought it needed skewing too as you show so well Bob, but, after rereading I realized it wasn't a closed shape.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

I would convert the rectangle to editable shapes and use the shape tool to adjust corners to fit.

Hans

Ok thanks

It seems I do not know xara well enough

All options will do the trick. Many thanks for the help.

Tim - This article is old but the steps are the same http://archive.xaraxone.com/webxealo...workbook_2.htm

Also, if you press F1 with any tool selected, a context sensitive menu will pop up and explain the functions of the selected tool.

In any menu with a Help button, press Help for context sensitive info on the menu options.

Also worth mentioning that in the Shape Tool you can press Home or End on the keyboard to select either the start and end node of a line
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    Also worth mentioning that in the Shape Tool you can press Home or End on the keyboard to select either the start and end node of a line
    Eggstremely useful tip, Egg
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.