Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Static menu

I am searching for a way to make a menu static. I am able to find javascripts that are static, but I want to be able to use my xara webstyle to make it static.

For example, I am updating the site www.austinaspp.org and want to make that menu static (stay visible as you scroll down the page).

I am assuming I need to go into an editor and modify the javascript but I don't know enough about javascript to know if there could possibly just be an easy line to add. The code for the menu is long so I won't post it here.

I am using FrontPage 2002 and Xara Webstyle 3.1

Thanks for any suggestions.

Cheryl

I am searching for a way to make a menu static. I am able to find javascripts that are static, but I want to be able to use my xara webstyle to make it static.

For example, I am updating the site www.austinaspp.org and want to make that menu static (stay visible as you scroll down the page).

I am assuming I need to go into an editor and modify the javascript but I don't know enough about javascript to know if there could possibly just be an easy line to add. The code for the menu is long so I won't post it here.

I am using FrontPage 2002 and Xara Webstyle 3.1

Thanks for any suggestions.

Cheryl

is to use frames; the menu in one frame with the body in another.

Another is to use layers; the body would be in a scrollable layer.

www.bricksandbrass.co.uk
    Simon
    ------------------------------
    www.tlaconsultancy.co.uk
    www.bricksandbrass.co.uk

Thanks, Simon. I know I do not want to use frames on the site. Can you suggest where I would go to understand how to use layers?

Cheryl

Cheryl

I tend to do a search on Google like 'scrolling layers html'. This throws up Devshed which usually has a good answer!

What would we do without Google!

Do make sure you test the resulting page with other browsers as this is an area which can challenge them.

Another option is a background graphic which is fixed; Google - 'background graphic fixed' has some answers on this. You may be able to use it as an image map unless the regions scroll off it! Have a look at what they say.

Hope that helps.

www.bricksandbrass.co.uk
    Simon
    ------------------------------
    www.tlaconsultancy.co.uk
    www.bricksandbrass.co.uk

Hi,

don't blame you not wanting to use frames. I have seen some rolling menus that use just plain DHTML. you can probably find one at matts script archive. You just stick the code where it says (header and body) and change the links to what you want.

try not be too intimidated by the script. just follow it along with the sample and you can see where to install the words you need. I can't write Javascript but I know enough to steal it and make it do what I need for it to do. It doesn't get any better than that! talke care,
    BA http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif

is this what you mean?

http://siderealdesigns.com/

ba

Just make a menu - open the html-file in any editor and cut of all java-scripts.

Best regards,
    Charisma
    (48 years, turner from Ukraine)
    Best regards,
    Charisma
    (48 years, turner from Ukraine)