Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Default Re: Expiration of Designer Pro

Totally agree. It's more enjoyable to renew my telephone subscription than having to fork over money for a service such as a search function that used to be part of the program itself or for contents that I already have in my 'possession.' It's a pretty crazy scheme, for the customer, that is.

Quote Originally Posted by Boy View Post
    Totally agree. It's more enjoyable to renew my telephone subscription than having to fork over money for a service such as a search function that used to be part of the program itself or for contents that I already have in my 'possession.' It's a pretty crazy scheme, for the customer, that is.
    I agree. It is unfair and morally wrong.
    Bob.
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

Quote Originally Posted by browj2 View Post
    WARNING!

I just accepted the update, put in the payment information and below is the last screen:
    Thanks for sharing that screen, I had the same at re-newing the Xara Designer Pro 365 subscription, because in that way it is general an happens also for others. Inspite of that it takes the money from the card and works, just a bit looks amateur.

Last year the Magnetic Lasso worth the upgrade for me, if in this year will be such inspirative improvement somewhere, then I will be satisfied. Finally I like Designer Pro and will not learn other program, Blender has enough learning curve for me to spend that time

I noticed that there was a June update to Photo & Graphics Designer that has not made it through to Designer Pro yet. It may be worth taking a look for those who are renewing and wondering if there is anything coming soon.

Amongst other improvements there is:

Ligature Support
    Many modern OpenType fonts include typographical ligatures, which allow sequences of consecutive characters in text to be displayed with a single glyph. These are now supported in Photo & Graphic Designer, and they can be used to improve the legibility and presentation of text and to introduce stylistic flourishes.

John
    John CB
    Xara DPX(19.0.1.65946)

ligature support was added to dessigner pro 365 in March 2017 - as mentioned on the what's new page beneath text handling, to the left of other text enhancements, here: http://www.xara.com/uk/designer-pro/whats-new/ - and same description as you quote for P&G

sadly it seems it's pretty basic in it's implementation from a typographical point of view [in both programs] - Bob and I mentioned that in passing in posts #16 and #17 above
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    ligature support was added to dessigner pro 365 in March 2017 - as mentioned on the what's new page beneath text handling, to the left of other text enhancements, here: http://www.xara.com/uk/designer-pro/whats-new/ - and same description as you quote for P&G

sadly it seems it's pretty basic in it's implementation from a typographical point of view [in both programs] - Bob and I mentioned that in passing in posts #16 and #17 above
    Hi,

Thanks for correcting me. I was assuming, incorrectly, that the new features first appear in the individual products, and then later in Designer Pro. I have since taken a look at both and it seems that new features can come first in one or the other, which makes it a little harder to follow.

John
    John CB
    Xara DPX(19.0.1.65946)

under the old system, Designer Pro was the last in the annual cycle to be released, therefore last to get the features [usually]... but under 365 there is no annual release cycle [just an annual licence cycle per user] and so I guess the priorites have changed in respect of which program gets what first
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    ligature support was added to dessigner pro 365 in March 2017...sadly it seems it's pretty basic in it's implementation from a typographical point of view [in both programs] - Bob and I mentioned that in passing in posts #16 and #17 above
    But it is the only application I have that has implemented using human-readable names for stylistic sets as of yet...

So there is that.

I guess for the target market that will be good
    Nothing lasts forever...

That capability will be nice in whatever application chooses to support it.

I mean, I have one font with 33 stylistic sets. Which is easier to know ahead of time:

Stylistic Set 4

Or,

End of Word Swashes

Mike