Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Default Re: Expiration of Designer Pro

Quote Originally Posted by browj2 View Post
    You are paying for the new features and content that came out since you paid a year ago, i.e. to lock it all in, and you get an advance on what will come out over the next year. You will pay to lock in what comes out over the next year, if and when you pay again next year. If you don't like or use what came out over the last year, then don't renew. Just remember, if you have to reinstall, what you will have will be whatever the state was when you last paid, and you get to keep any new content that you downloaded. Also, you will no longer have access to on-line content, so you better have downloaded everything that you want. This has all been explained ad nauseum and is well-explained on the Xara site. So why is this so hard to understand?
    +1
    Users do not seem to understand they already have next year's upgrades, which they may have been seduced to use and so are tied in already.

Bowing out now loses on-line access. Yes, download everything you can but Xara has altered the base application by removing the Find capability.
    Canny users can always resurrect Version 11 as it still can access its On-line Content Catalogue; this sadly has no Find but V11 itself has!

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    +1

Canny users can always resurrect Version 11 as it still can access its On-line Content Catalogue; this sadly has no Find but V11 itself has!

Acorn
    Awesome, thanks Acorn I also discovered that the reason the online content wasn't finding results for simple terms like 'car' etc. was that PixaBay were updating their search engine.

Not sure what went wrong I replied but has not appeared, my fault as not realy concentrating at the moment.

I have kept all the old vector drawings in a seperate folder that I can do a find on and the transport section has nearly 200 items including the old red mini.
    So it is possible to extract the contents into a seperated folder.
    I am of the age where I am not sure I will be upgrading and as the other person said have done so since the first software for the Acorn computer.
    I would like to see improvments to the word processing so that it can replace Impression on the acorn computer and Ovation Pro on the PC which also came from the Acorn.
    Is there a discount for loyalty??
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    I shall revert to ver 11 and stay there...

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    ..exactly...

until magix/xara change the rules once again....

oh and by:

...there will be usefull updates for me, but they won't be for this program...
    I mean, of course, useful updates in programs that are not magix/xara...
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

This thread just goes to show what a complete and utter lash-up the whole Magix/Xara business model is.
    The confusion that has been caused over the past year or so is completely understandable.
    The "improvements" that are supposedly worth the cost of upgrading have been underwhelming at best.
    Things that are being sold as "must have" are anything but.
    The fear factor of missing out on these benefits and the exorbitant prices being charged defy belief.
    And to think Xara used to be a fine product back in the day. They have sold their souls to the devil.
    Shame.
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

here are two quotes from the xara website:

Don't let your software get in the way of your creativity!
    nope surely won't be doing that ... I'll be using software I can rely on in the future...

You will have access to these new features and content as we develop them, rather than waiting up to a year for our next annual release*. Which means you can keep up with the latest trends in web and graphic design!
    latest trends?... in graphic design?... where? ... even the ligature stuff is hardly up to date or fully implemented...

polite words fail me...
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    latest trends?... in graphic design?... where? ... even the ligature stuff is hardly up to date or fully implemented...
    polite words fail me...
    "By 2001 hundreds of OpenType fonts were on the market." (Wikipedia) ... that's 16 years late by my reckoning!
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Prewett View Post
    I would like to see improvments to the word processing so that it can replace Impression on the acorn computer and Ovation Pro on the PC which also came from the Acorn.
    Is there a discount for loyalty??Peter
    Peter, been asked before and ignored. Why do you think I use the sobriquet Acorn? (Ans: purely to tug Xara's heartstrings. Fail!)

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

I am now getting the early notice to upgrade XDPX as shown below.
    Attachment 118184

This works out to about 167 CAD.

On the Magix.com site:¨
    Page & Layout Designer 11 is being offered for 90 CAD - Note version 11, not 12
    On Xara.com they are selling the same program for 90 USD or 117 CAD
    but the price to upgrade from 9 or 10 to 11 is 20 USD or 26 CAD
    Looks like there is no version 12 except within XDPX.

Photo & Graphics Designer
    On Magix.com it is on sale for 50 CAD and they include Photo Manager 16 Deluxe and PC Check as a bonus
    but they want 60 USD on Xara.com
    Upgrade price for this on Xara.com is 30 USD (39 CAD) before expiry, or 40 USD after expiry.

Web Designer Premium
    On Magix.com is on sale for 70 CAD and includes bonuses of PC Check & Tuning, Fastcut, Photo Manager Deluxe
    On Xara.com, is 50 USD (65 CAD) with no bonuses,
    update is 45 USD (58 CAD) before expiry, 65 USD after expiry

Finally, Designer Pro X (XDPX):
    New - Magix.com = 299 CAD
    Xara.com = 299 USD, cannot get a price to renew like I did with the others. It asks to log in and still the only thing that I can do is buy a new version. So, the only way is to reply to the screen from the message that pops up in Xara DPX.

If I had the individual products, I could upgrade each for a total of:
    0 CAD for P&L because there is no new version 12, but say the upgrade price of 26 CAD for the sake of argument
    39 CAD for P&GD
    58 CAD for Web Designer Premium (including Xara hosting)
    Total: 123 CAD vs the 167 CAD that they want to charge me.

I do believe that they are overcharging for the renewal.

On the other hand, at the rates that I charge, just doing the above research and writing it up was time (and money) wasted.
    John CB
    Xara DPX(19.0.1.65946)

WARNING!

I just accepted the update, put in the payment information and below is the last screen:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xara2017 payment error 505.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	31.4 KB 
ID:	118195

So I went back to the last screen, input my credit card information, next, and got the same 505 screen. A definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over, expecting a different outcome. Since I have been trying to cure myself of this, I didn't do it a third time and instead checked my credit card account only to find that I now had two identical Xara charges against it. As one other user had pointed out, the payment went through even though there was an error screen at the end. I should have paid more attention. Now I have to raise a ticket with Xara to get a refund.

For anyone else doing this, only do it once.

That said, the process is a letdown because you don't actually get anything tangible. I much preferred the Magix Video Pro X renewal where they gave me some new add-ons.

John
    John CB
    Xara DPX(19.0.1.65946)