Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Good morning / evening,

If anyone has successfully managed to convert to a pdf file, could you advise the work around ? I have tried and Acrobat hangs giving + - 684 colour violation errors - which is probably a red herring. Xara X - Acrobat 6 Prof. The only colour was one blend - purple to transparent.

Good morning / evening,

If anyone has successfully managed to convert to a pdf file, could you advise the work around ? I have tried and Acrobat hangs giving + - 684 colour violation errors - which is probably a red herring. Xara X - Acrobat 6 Prof. The only colour was one blend - purple to transparent.

How are you converting?

What I use is to Print to File using the PDF as the printer.

But PDF will see all the color steps in the blend (or gradient) as separate colors sometimes.

You might try making your art a bitmap to the resolution required by the printer (266-600dpi) and see if this solves the problem. Leave any text as text and check the send fonts to file (or whatever the wording is) option.

I am hopeful this is being addressed in the Xara X update.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

<a href="http://www.gwpriester.com">
    www.gwpriester.com </a>

<a href="http://www.xaraxone.com">
    The Xara Xone </a>

Thanks Gary,

Have tried a few different ways during the course of the day. The original file was created in Xara2 with text on top of a rectangle that had a linear fill - one colour. I did ask the question a few months ago whether future vers would include and export to pdf like CorelD has but was advised no as there is a work around - clearly I need to find the correct work around.

I have occasionally tried printing to PDF with XX, and mostly run into trouble. I won't claim it's impossible, but it's certainly not a workflow I would recommend. Instead, export as a high-res TIF or BMP or PNG and separate/print that from Photoshop or another bitmap or pagr layout app - all of the bitmap exports in XX work superbly.

K
    www.klausnordby.com/xara (big how-to article)
    www.xaraxone.com/FeaturedArt/kn/ (I was the first-ever featured artist in the Xone)
    www.graphics.com (columnist, "The I of The Perceiver")

K
    www.klausnordby.com/xara (big how-to article)
    www.xaraxone.com/FeaturedArt/kn/ (I was the first-ever featured artist in the Xone)
    www.graphics.com (occasional columnist, "The I of The Perceiver")

exporting Xara.eps files and using Distiller to make PDF's.

Works okay for me. I've noticed Xara hanging a lot when I try to print a PDF from within Xara.

Don't know what's causing it. Anyone know?

Sheffield Abella
    www.sheff.com
    Sheff
    My Site

I've successfully used the freeware pdf995 utility that allows you to print to pdf. It has produced, on my tests so far, perfectly good PDF files. It's even worked on some hugely complex artwork such as the Groucho image that contains hundreds of difficult Postscript effects such as feathers, transparency, shadows etc. It creates a large pdf file, but for a drawing that complicated that's to be expected.

http://www.pdf995.com

1. Print to file from Xara with Adobe Generic Postscript Printer Driver

2. Open in Ghostscript/Ghostview

3. Convert with pdfwrite option

Works nicely here

kindly,
    ivan

My mini-tutorials
    botarosa

andalucía · españa and lower saxony · germany

I couldn't resist, but Ivan is right: the most simple solution is the best one. I've finally abandoned Acrobat 6 and returned to my proven method with GhostScript - much faster, excellent results without having to know the gazillion tweaks in Acrobat 6 Professional...

jens g.r. benthien
    designer
    http://www.sacalobra.de

----------//--
    If you don't know how to dream you'll never be a designer.
    ----------//--
    --------------------//--
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
    --------------------//--

I've been using pdf995 for over a year now, both with Xara and with my other apps. I've never had a problem (and my printer still thinks I'm using Acrobat, which satisfies his Adobe snobbery). http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/wink.gif