Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: anti-aliasing

Hi y'all, I'm new to the forum and xara and although I love the product, I have trouble with the "fringe" of anti-aliased pixels left around the edges of text when saved as a .gif and inserted onto a darker web page. The same thing happened after I spent hours creating a (superb - well I thought so!) animated banner - when it was uploaded, the tatty edges gave it a "cheap and nasty" look - exactly what I didn't want.

I have resorted to laboriously editing the graphics by hand in Photoshop in an attempt to clean up the edges, but surely there must be a better way?

Xara is so great in every other respect that I bought webstyle too - again, a fantastic, easy to use piece of kit, but with exactly the same problems! I understand the difference between vector and rastor, but if anyone can point me to a simple solution, I'd be very grateful. Love the site, by the way!

Hi y'all, I'm new to the forum and xara and although I love the product, I have trouble with the "fringe" of anti-aliased pixels left around the edges of text when saved as a .gif and inserted onto a darker web page. The same thing happened after I spent hours creating a (superb - well I thought so!) animated banner - when it was uploaded, the tatty edges gave it a "cheap and nasty" look - exactly what I didn't want.

I have resorted to laboriously editing the graphics by hand in Photoshop in an attempt to clean up the edges, but surely there must be a better way?

Xara is so great in every other respect that I bought webstyle too - again, a fantastic, easy to use piece of kit, but with exactly the same problems! I understand the difference between vector and rastor, but if anyone can point me to a simple solution, I'd be very grateful. Love the site, by the way!

welcome to the Xara Conference.

The answer is more simple than you would believe.

Place your text over a color that is similar to the color of the background over which the text is going to appear.

You can use a large rectangle, or you can hold down the Ctrl key and drag a color from the screen palette onto the page.

Select your text (but not the background) and export with the transparent option.

Now Xara will anti-alias to the selected color instead of the white of the page and your text will look terrific when viewed on the web page.

Click here for a more detailed explanation.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

<a href="http://www.gwpriester.com">
    www.gwpriester.com </a>

<a href="http://www.xaraxone.com">
    The Xara Xone </a>

Cheers, Gary, that seems to do the trick! Although it isn't strictly xara x, can you suggest a way of achieving the same effect when using webstyle 3.1?

Do I have to create a page heading, for example, in webstyle, Save it, open it in Xara x and apply the "rectangle rule" before exporting it as a .gif?

Thanks very much for your very speedy reply, by the way.

wavydavy