Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default What are your workarounds to deal with XDP lack of "presets" functionality?

Hi,

Photoshop has presets functionality available for all tools, adjusts and objects.
    I couldn't find an equivalent presets functionality in XDP (v.12.6.2) and I take myself starting from scratch many operations that in Photoshop would be easily performed by selecting a preset.
    What are your workarounds to deal with XDP lack of "presets" functionality?

Thanks for info!
    Carlos_Cadu

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Default Re: What are your workarounds to deal with XDP lack of "presets" functionality?

By presets are you talking about "Actions" or macros? then unfortunately there is no workaround for that.

If you just want a simple way to save photo tool settings and add textures to a photo see here https://www.xaramarketplace.com/cate...a-tips-tricks/
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Default Re: What are your workarounds to deal with XDP lack of "presets" functionality?

Hi Angelize. Thanks for sharing the link. I found valuable tutorials there!

Regarding your question: "By presets are you talking about "Actions" or macros?"
    Actually I'm referring to more simple operations than "Actions" or "macros".
    Simple "presets" indeed.
    Some examples:
    - Drop-shadows presets (in XDP I need always to tweak blur/transparency sliders, in Photoshop I can have "infinite" presets/styles of drop-shadows ready to use. After I have achieved the drop-shadow configuration, I simply save it to use later).
    - Selections presets (see snapshot below, in which there are different ready to use selection sizes).
    - Pen tool with different colors for fill/stroke, different stroke width/shapes, then I just select the preset.
    Etc.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tD5sE7H.png 
Views:	73 
Size:	6.0 KB 
ID:	117793

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

I can think of a way that drop shadows could be saved as a photo preset but it would only work for photos not vector objects and I don't have time to test it right now.

Selections could possibly be done with the region tools and saved shapes but again it would only work with photos not vector objects and I would need to test before posting a method.

pen, shape editor, and freehand presets could be set up as art brushes and applied through the lines gallery, but it doesn't seem to work with the straight line tool. and as far as I can see it wouldn't be a true preset just a brush.

I"ll test some of this stuff out tonight
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

For Brush strokes, you can load your own brushes into the library. Alternatively if you change brushes frequently and have large collections, you can setup your brushes on a document and then load that document in the background when you need it. For text and drop shadows you can copy and paste attributes, or simply copy and paste an object with the correct settings and then update the text or shape. It's not as flexible as photoshop layers, but it saves a lot of time eg
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bonus.png 
Views:	82 
Size:	17.6 KB 
ID:	117831
    eg this image is text with a contour and dropshadow combination inside a mould. Again, I have a library image with various setting for the project I'm working on.