Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Challenge

Just trying to stimulate things around here, summer is upon us (at least those above the equator)

About 10 years ago my 1st internet connection was with Compu-serve. We had a couple really fun graphic arts forums going one of which was a monthly idea for a subject and everyone was to interpet it in their own way using whatever graphic program they liked.

One of the more fun ones was to use a mythological person or creature and place it in a modern setting.

So this is my challenge for the next 30 days to take the mythological enity place it in a modern day situation and post it

in the general gallery section of Talk graphics

I'm going to repeat this post to the other forums on Talk graphics.

Can't wait to see the results.

Judi

I am a painter, and nearly all my works come from mythological sources. I never liked playing with these archetypes, and setting them in a modern day environment because they lose their force if you do, and become the laughing stock of superficial postmodernism.. Like calling your dog Pluto (from Ploutos, abundance, another name for Hades.)

No, I'm not in.

If you don't work against time, time often works for you.

I too have to agree with Erik's sentiment about watering down the spirit of mythological beings which have been with us for centuries.

Ron

Ron Pfister
    http://www.imaginationmagic.com

What's wrong with you guys? Mythological beings are symbolic and therefore relevant to any time. Was Shakespeare wrong to include mythological subject matter in his plays? Or all the poets who have done so for hundreds of years for that matter? Were the romans wrong to copy the Greeks? How about all the operas? Mythology is a valid source of inspiration. It's use in a present day context could make a powerful statement if done right.

Also, why come on just to dis an idea? If you don't like the idea, just don't participate. It's not necessary to put it down.

Sharon P.
    www.fischerpassmoredesign.com

Mythological creatures have always been placed in a modern context...for that time period. The Romans borrowed heavily from the Greeks, and then modernized them to fit their own perceptions. The Greeks borrowed heavily from just about everyone...and those they borrowed from, in turn borrowed from others..and on and on. Take a look at the development of religion, or Greek history and the sacrifice of the mythical king.

Besides, exactly what is the penultimate mythological creature? Dracula (the creature) developed from overblown stories of a Romanian count with poor social skills, combined with those with genetic disorders that cause a discomfort for bright light and strong flavors (garlic for one). The werewolf potentially from a rare genetic disease that causes excess facial hair.

The Grimm Reaper started life as a fertility figure representing the harvest (and then got promoted).

And who among us, when they try to visualize the bogey man, see him dressed in priestly Sumerian garb chanting a gentle protection spell against the night, instead of wearing dark, torn and tatered jeans, climbing out of a sewer, or reaching out from the shadow of a tree or lamp post?

We use mythology in our daily lives without thinking about it. As a kid, who among us didn't believe in Santa, the tooth fairy, the bogeyman, dracula, werewolf? We would draw them climbing through a bedroom window, or jumping out from behind a lampost (not a pitch covered flaming torch set in an iron holder) or car (not a 12th century horse drawn hay wagon). They were a part of our daily lives and our childhood perception of the world. Not pickled in artistic formaldehyde.

Anyway, enough ranting. I think Judi's idea is great. The Greeks did it, the Romans did it, heck, everyone has done it, why can't we modernize our mythical creatures?

T

[This message was edited by Thomas.Sorrill on June 22, 2001 at 07:37.]

Bouddha as a business shark in front of Empire State Building, wearing a white Armani suit, Jesus as a Nazi general and Mohammed as a junkie. Would you go for these? This too is mythology. Nothing more, nothing less.

Besides: I only wrote that I wasn't on, that's all. Please READ what I wrote and comment on that!

To Gary: Sorry I answered to this thread on your clean, creative and positive Forum. I accept the full responsability. I promise I'll work harder on some good 3D stuff so that I can make it up to all the 3DFriends. Seppuku seems to be a little exaggerated, and not appropriate.
    Hai, Gary Sama, wakarimas. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

If you don't work against time, time often works for you.

I guess it's all good fun in a forum until someone expresses a real opinion and doesn't follow the crowd. The freedom to express is also a part of being an artist, is it not? Those who follow the "hey gang" mentallity are usually the first to force their own views onto anyone who show the signs of individuality. Ironically it seems that when these individuals find fault in someone elses idea they feel just, and maybe a little above it all, by doing exactly the same thing that they are complaining about. The quote below, taken from this thread, is a good example...

"Also, why come on just to dis an idea? If you don't like the idea, just don't participate. It's not necessary to put it down."

Although I agree that a positive, nurturing environment is a great way to learn and to grow eventually you will meet the real world.

Sorely disappointed,
    Ron



Ron Pfister
    http://www.imaginationmagic.com

I would have never dreamed that mythological enities would be held sacred by some people.

Learning the beliefs and views on life in our little international community here is very educational and important. In reality we all live in our own little world, if we don't venture out that little world becomes stagnet. Eric, thank you for showing me one more view.

There have been lots of novels written on time travel some using still uninvented devices, and others more to my liking where the person accidentally passes into another time in history or the future.

I've been working for the past two days on mine and might get it posted today. Be warned it is totally non-serious with the mischievious god Pan as the subject.

Judi

just do as you feel you must do. I am the last to say to anyone: thou shalt not.
    Creativity is unpredictable and chaotic, not to say anarchistic (accepting no "archos", or leader). We all try to "render" our visions into digital, or material images, and each one of us is limited to her or his point of view, to the boundaries of what you can "imagine" to be true. So try to live on a level that inspires you, that opens un(fore)seen possibilities.

To me, these inner planes full of archetypes -where I feel home- are important, because inspiring, but not "sacred". My saying "no" has no religious background. I project no thoughtform whatsoever to the level of Holy Cow: obey, or you will be punished. Like Byron, I deny nothing, but I doubt everything. (no hell below us, above us only sky...)

Your modern rendering has been done in the past too (Renaissance,...), but in an innocent way. Not: let's look for a subject. If you look for a subject, you are limited to your own mind, but if you work from the roots, from inspiration, the flow goes on and on, and you discover awe-inspiring facets of more generally human, and even wider themes.
    Example: There has been an Art movement in the sixties that re-created paintings of the great masters, but with pin-ups, complete with kitchy bikini-pale-skin, instead of the original painted women. Technically these paintings may be impressive to some, but, except from the technique, what do you see but a pamphlet? What does the image convey? What does it "say", not "what does the author try to say" ? Does it inspire you? To do what? To me, these are a flat denial of what inspiration is because the only thing I sense beneath the surface is "let's see what I can do that hasn't been doen before.". But that is my impression, and doesn't have to be everyone's as far as I'm concerned.

So, as long as something generates a feeling of enthusiasm and wonder, whatever then the subject may be: go for it. But try to go deeper and further, leave superficiality behind, because that is only wasted time, wasted life and wasted energy.

Success!

The moment my site is ready, I'll post the adress.

I think any contest or rally to create is a good idea. You never know what might come of it. Most of what I consider my most original creations came from accidents when I was 'messing around'. Unless you think your time is better spent doing something else, I say go for it and have a little fun while you're at it. =)

Thanks for the suggestion Judi!