Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I assume that people who wish to export selected objects in bitmap formats, such as GIF which support transparency, and have deliberately placed unselected objects as backgrounds to selected objects, do so to get the selected objects to anti-alias to the correct background colour, while not wanting to actually export the unselected background objects.

If this is the case there is a work around for the problem, you can edit the page background layer to have the appropriate colour or texture and the selected objects will anti-alias to the page background layer and the page background layer contents will not be exported.

Colours and textures can be applied to the background layer by, for instance, ctrl-dragging colours and bitmaps to the page background, the bitmap gallery and colour gallery also provide page background fill options.

I hope this will be sufficient to enable people to export in transparent bitmap formats in Xara X v1.0aa, there will be download available to fix this problem in the near future.

Apologies for the inconvenience.

Mark Goodall
    Xara Ltd

Mark

Thanks for the workaround. Not only does it solve my immediate problem, it dropped the "background" behind the guideline layer so I don't have to keep moving the guidelines to the top while I work.

Background layers -- a new area to explore. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img]

Allison

In connection with the changes in the bitmap export: When I export white text from Xara for use in another application, I make the text just off of pure white to differentiate it from pure white as the transparent color. Prior to v1.0aa, I typically used 255,255,254. With v1.0aa, I have to use 255,255,253. (It doesn't matter whether the "off" value is R, G or B.)

Is there a reason why it's changed?

Allison

Just a note, the version on the CD (1.0b) has the same bug as 1.0aa with transparent gifs.

So you'll need the background layer workaround to export transparent GIFs correctly.

Cheers

James