Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Windows 10 Creators Update

now available with download assistant, and due to be rolled out before too long...

anyone using it yet... any thoughts or comments?

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/features
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Default Re: Windows 10 Creators Update

downloaded it yesterday - took a while to update, but everything seems to be working just fine. With my system, (HP Envy Desktop), the only thing I had to do was reinstall the hp audio drivers to get back the Beats audio functionality.
    Glenn

What's the Creators Update, if you don't mind me asking?

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    now available with download assistant, and due to be rolled out before too long...

anyone using it yet... any thoughts or comments?

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/features
    R_o_n _a_l _d __C. __D_u_k_e

x a r a . c o m..a r t i s t s ..g a l l e r y

Xara's Facebook

Xara Designer Pro X 16, Xara 3D7 Web Designer

Hi Ron

it's one of those windows updates that adds new features to the OS, rather than just fix/amend existing stuff [although that distinction can sometimes be moot]

details are in the link I gave

have downloaded the installer, but not yet had time to install it

I like to check these major updates out 'in advance' rather than have them installed for me in the background.....
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by glenngosack View Post
    I had to do was reinstall the hp audio drivers to get back the Beats audio functionality.
    yes - it's little things like that, it's good to sort out upfront

interesting they are introducing a 'reduced blue light' option - useful for office, but no good for graphics [if in doubt look at what it can do to your greyscale ]
    Nothing lasts forever...

I took the plunge and updated my desktop machine - 3 hours.....
    Christine

Software: XDPX9, WD9,WD10,XDPX10,WD11,XDPX11,XDP365

I suppose it's like that thing 'a watched kettle never boils'!

I updated 1 PC and 2 Laptops. Didn't seem to take long at all.
    Mind you, during the updates, I was doing other things!

Featured Artist on Xara Xone . May 2011
    . A Shield . My First Tutorial
    . Bottle Cap . My Second Tutorial on Xara Xone

I installed it last night - probably took 20 mins on desktop - need to be nearby as computer needs password to restart [but didn't need to re-unlock drive]

not had chance to check out new features, but initial impressions:

there are changes to the way apps are handled - a new tab for this in settings [and one for gaming]; some defaults were reset and needed changing back such as default app for viewing images

edge has had a make over in the way it deals with tabs among other things - not enough to encourage me to use it, but getting there I suppose

and hey, one item on my wishlist fulfilled up to a point - in respect of updates the max 'active hours' have been extended from 12 to 18 hours [I'd prefer 22, hey I'd prefer 24 but I think that unlikely]

[edit - that is 20 minutes each way - 20 to 'get ready' and 20 to do the job including resetting the options; so really about 40 mins in total]]
    edit again: not too sure I like the way edge tab prccess' are implemented - too much cpu...
    Last edited by handrawn; 15 April 2017 at 10:31 AM.
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    and hey, one item on my wishlist fulfilled up to a point - in respect of updates the max 'active hours' have been extended from 12 to 18 hours [I'd prefer 22, hey I'd prefer 24 but I think that unlikely]
    I turned "Automatic Reboot" using one of the ways shown here: http://tunecomp.net/disable-automati...in-windows-10/. Depending on the version of Windows 10 you have, you can do so permanently or at least when you are informed that new updates have been installed.

if you dig around in in gpedit you can stop the downloads altogether [win 10 pro] - but I don't want to do this - what I want is to shut the computer down [or leave it] without updates happening if they are pending, and the way to do that is to hibernate it - as long as it does not reboot unexpectedly I'm happy - extended active hours is the way to go for me

there is a lot of 'butterfly effect' in setting group policies, I like the simple life these days

as far as I can see the task scheduler, services, and registry fixes are, up to a point, either just temporary or hacks that may have consequences

EDIT - hibernate does mean you have to pay attention to power settings and wake timers... wouldn't want it waking up unexpectedly - easyist with a desktop, just flick off the main switch on the PSU, and it can't wake up
    Nothing lasts forever...