Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Need help with correct settings to print full bleed

I am doing my best to setup my files to be print ready when I send them to a printer. However, I need some help to ensure that I do it right. My background is web graphics mostly. For you print folks, please let me know how to show crop marks in XD ProX 365 and anything else needed to make the file print ready for a print shop. I am using the default settings in Page Option for the Outer margin and Bleed margin and also have "show print borders" selected in the "Window" tab.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Default Re: Need help with correct settings to print full bleed

Your "printer's marks" will be created with the PDF creation as long as two things are true. And Xara's method of including them in a PDF sucks.

Pretend you are going to print your file. On the print dialog, there is an Options button. Click on that button. Another dialog will open. There are 4 tabs on that dialog and you are only interested in the tab named "Imagesetting." Click on that tab. At the top of the list box there is a check box entitled "Output Printer's Marks." Check that box and the list box becomes enabled and all but two options will be set...and likely you do not need all the ones that are checked (and likely never the two that are not checked). But it is fine to leave the ones that are checked unless your print service says otherwise.

Now click on the OK button. You'll be back to the print dialog and click on its cancel button.

Now, save the file and that bogus routine will be saved in the file and when you are ready to generate a PDF for the print service, you just need to make sure that on the Layers tab of the PDF dialog that you also check (if it is not) the Include crop and printers marks in the PDF document is checked.

You should make sure to read the PDF requirements for the print service you are using. Some places do not want crop marks (and the other info) in a PDF even when there is bleed. Technically it is unneeded. But do make sure how much bleed is wanted. Also, if your document has no need of bleed, you do not usually need to include it--but some print establishments still want it as their automated systems are set up for a specific amount of bleed whether there is bled elements or not in the design file.

Images, if there are any, need to be of sufficient effective DPI resolution. You can see the effective resolution in the status bar when any image is selected. In general you want 240 DPI or greater for a digital print establishment and 300 dpi or greater for offset printing. Questions? Ask.

If you have used any bitmap effects, drop shadows, 3D, photo effects, etc., you need to make sure the Rasterization Resolution (DPI) setting in the PDF export dialog is high enough for an effective print. Generally 300 DPI is fine. Questions? Ask.

Also, make sure what PDF type they require (PDF/X-1a, PDF/X-3, etc etc.

Feel free to ask for clarification on anything above or when you are ready to generate the PDF if things don't seem right.

Default Re: Need help with correct settings to print full bleed

Thanks for the detailed explanation. I need to try out your suggestion. I'll let you know if I get stuck at any step in the process.

Please excuse the delayed reply. I was hosting a conference, which consumed the bulk of my time.

Thanks again!