Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hi all

I just used some xara clipart in a book I am doing layout for. Anyway, after placing the image in InDesign...Hundreds of spot colours appeared in my colour palette. Needless to say this is BAD for print work. Is there anyway to convert colours to CMYK globally in Xara.

I realize I can convert to bitmap, but I was hoping to leave this as vector artwork

Thanks,
    Beth

Hi all

I just used some xara clipart in a book I am doing layout for. Anyway, after placing the image in InDesign...Hundreds of spot colours appeared in my colour palette. Needless to say this is BAD for print work. Is there anyway to convert colours to CMYK globally in Xara.

I realize I can convert to bitmap, but I was hoping to leave this as vector artwork

Thanks,
    Beth

Hey Beth

The short answer is no.

However in InDesign you can convert all those spot colors to CMYK.

I had to do this for an ad I was creating and fortunately I was in contact with Adobe at the time for a product I was reviewing and they gave me the answer.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>You can convert all spot colors to equivalent CMYK process colors in the Ink Manager. When spot colors are converted to their process color equivalents, they are printed as separations rather than on a single plate. Converting a spot color is useful if you've accidentally added a spot color to a process color document, or if the document contains more spot colors than are practical to print. This conversion doesn't affect how the colors are defined in the document. For more information, see Using the Ink Manager. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hope this helps.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

<a href="http://www.gwpriester.com">
    www.gwpriester.com </a>

<a href="http://www.xaraxone.com">
    The Xara Xone </a>

Hey there

Darn.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>You can convert all spot colors to equivalent CMYK process colors in the Ink Manager.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I wonder if that would work. The printer is using a PDF workflow (oh joy oh bliss) and need to send composite PDF rather than presepped. Unfortunately, ink manager is greyed out unless you use seps. But maybe there is a way to use that method. I will investigate it further (/pulls out magnifying glass).

Thanks for the idea,
    Beth

PS: I had a thought about taking the eps in Draw and seeing if I could convert colours to CMYK there with its search and replace thingy. Havent tested yet. At least that way you can see if you get goofy colour conversions before.

is with the Ink Manager. Exporting from CorelDRAW or even Illustrator does not solve the problem.

I had a logo in an ad that was exported as EPS from Xara and placed in InDesign and each color was being treated as a separate spot color.

I exported it to PDF and as I recall the Ink Manager option was avaialbe there as well.

Look up Ink Manager in the Help file (you might have to do a search for the phrase).

The other alternative (if you want to make your life real easy) is to export any images as TIFF and convert them to CMYK in Photoshop or any photo editing application that can do the conversion. DRAW can change color space modes as well.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

<a href="http://www.gwpriester.com">
    www.gwpriester.com </a>

<a href="http://www.xaraxone.com">
    The Xara Xone </a>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> The other alternative (if you want to make your life real easy) is to export any images as TIFF and convert them to CMYK <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ya, I think the tif method will be the easiest and safest. Thank god Xara now has alpha channels.

Thanks,
    Beth

I had the same problem...
    The answer is expot your illustration in "ai" format to open it in adobe illustrator.

In Adobe illustrator, you have a filter called color that convert all the spot colours in "cmyk" colour. it works perfectly.

You can save your illustration security in adobe illustrator format again that you will have no more problems with spot colours...

roblop-brazil

Awesome Rob

I never noticed that one. Thankyou very much.

~8-)