Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Text problem

Default Re: Text problem

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Miller View Post
    Hi
    Ok found the options.
    Problem is file is 168 MG.

This is a large display board 1200 x 1500mm with some large graphics and text.
    I am attaching a picture named 'Capture@ which shows what happens when I click on ungroup.
    so what Xara has probably done is import each sentence as a separate piece of text.

What I suggest is keep the image by copying it to a different page.
    Import the text only into a plain text editor, create an empty text box and copy the plain text back into Xara into the empty text box.

This will allow you to add the image back with a Repel Text Under applied.

Yes, Impression was the Computer Concepts (now Xara) DTP for the RiscPC.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    so what Xara has probably done is import each sentence as a separate piece of text.

What I suggest is keep the image by copying it to a different page.
    Import the text only into a plain text editor, create an empty text box and copy the plain text back into Xara into the empty text box.

This will allow you to add the image back with a Repel Text Under applied.

Yes, Impression was the Computer Concepts (now Xara) DTP for the RiscPC.

Acorn
    Hi thanks for all your help.

I have had the problem again. It appears to happen when I use the magnetic lasso tool to vut out a picture. Sudenly all the teaxt changes to groups.
    Anyway I am now working around this but I think it is a problem that should be fixed.

Regards
    Paul

Hi thanks for all your help.
    I have had the problem again. It appears to happen when I use the magnetic lasso tool to vut out a picture. Sudenly all the teaxt changes to groups.
    Anyway I am now working around this but I think it is a problem that should be fixed.
    Regards
    Paul
    Paul, the Lasso is for images. Cutting across text will necessarily turn text into grouped shapes.
    You are just using the wrong tool.

Upload your example and we'll have a better understanding of what you need to do.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Paul, one other, are you lassoing the picture and then using Ctrl+C with Ctrl+V to extract the picture as this leaves the original text and picture intact?

Acorn

Paul, one other, are you lassoing the picture and then using Ctrl+C with Ctrl+V to extract the picture as this leaves the original text and picture intact?

Acorn
    Hi again.
    I have had the problem again, this time without any cutting out the background of a graphic.

I have deleted some pictures in order to reduce file size and attached the file.

Thanks
    Paul
    Attached Files Attached Files

Question Re: Text problem

Paul, the file is exactly as you have described; somehow in your efforts you have converted all the text other that the 28 and the title to grouped shapes - lots and lots of grouped shapes.

Both the 28 and "The History of the Bible 4" are on the Background layer.
    These should be on a normal layer - Layer 1 is fine.

The page size is out of this world - 1,198mm x 1,500mm - why?
    I have to work at 12% to view it in design; in preview is it way too big.
    "The History of the Bible 4" is 200pt - why?

My mash-up Bible4.xar is under 75kB, you're is almost 5MB.

I need to see your source, the thing you are importing into Xara.
    We need to get back to basics.

Acorn

Paul, the file is exactly as you have described; somehow in your efforts you have converted all the text other that the 28 and the title to grouped shapes - lots and lots of grouped shapes.

Both the 28 and "The History of the Bible 4" are on the Background layer.
    These should be on a normal layer - Layer 1 is fine.

The page size is out of this world - 1,198mm x 1,500mm - why?
    I have to work at 12% to view it in design; in preview is it way too big.
    "The History of the Bible 4" is 200pt - why?

My mash-up Bible4.xar is under 75kB, you're is almost 5MB.

I need to see your source, the thing you are importing into Xara.
    We need to get back to basics.

Acorn

The 28 and The History of the Bible are headings where the words change for each panel. I do not want them to be accessable whilst I am working on the main design so thats why they are on a different layer.
    The page size is 1,198 x 1,500 because that is the size of the exhibition panels. I am designing them at life size. That is why the heading is 200pt.
    The text I am importanting into Xara comes from a microsoft word document. I copy the text, import as Rich Text and then merge and finally I make sure it all converts to Normal text style.
    The pictures and scans that I have made or pictures downloaded from wikicommons or from an inmage stock company. They are very high res pictures because sometimes I can enlarge them to the width of the panel. I am producing 28 similar panels which are all going to be printed out professionally and laminated ready for public display.

regards
    Paul

The 28 and The History of the Bible are headings where the words change for each panel. I do not want them to be accessable whilst I am working on the main design so thats why they are on a different layer.
    The page size is 1,198 x 1,500 because that is the size of the exhibition panels. I am designing them at life size. That is why the heading is 200pt.
    The text I am importanting into Xara comes from a microsoft word document. I copy the text, import as Rich Text and then merge and finally I make sure it all converts to Normal text style.
    The pictures and scans that I have made or pictures downloaded from wikicommons or from an inmage stock company. They are very high res pictures because sometimes I can enlarge them to the width of the panel. I am producing 28 similar panels which are all going to be printed out professionally and laminated ready for public display.
    regards
    Paul
    Paul, just create a different layer but don't use the Page background one. It is too easy to reset that and lose your detail. also, you can lock objects form being selected.

Copy from MS Word into a text editor instead (Notepad) and then copy that into a Xara Text Area. You don't need RTF as you can easily apply styles from within Xara.

Design at US Letter or A4 size so you can print out more easily. If also allows to to block out font sizes more readily. Currently, they are all over the place.
    When you are ready (if you must) scale up to the larger size. Xara is vector so scaling is never lossy.

The hi-res images are essential but, regardless of scale, Xara will cope, up to their normal resolution.
    To span a panel 1,198mm wide, you probably need a stock picture resolution of 1200dpi.

Good luck,
    Acorn

Paul,

I too would design at 100% size for these panels. I would recommend asking the print establishment what is their target print resolution. I typically design for a 150 dpi resolution even if that is slightly high for some of them. Let us know what they say as it affects the target PPI for the images you will be including.

As regards the text thing, like Acorn wrote, just going to a text editor via copy/paste, then copy that and paste into text frames is what I almost always do. It strips out the garbage in the text that is always present. Set the text in your Xara application.

You have a single image in the sample file you uploaded. It is 3116 dpi which is vastly larger than it needs to be if that is the size it is going to print.

I have attached a screen shot of the spreadsheet I use with large format work. I haven't ever gotten around to making a metric version, so I have converted mm to inches. I have set the target print resolution to 150 dpi and chose not to use viewing scale, which affects target resolution and PPI for images.

Mike

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	capture-000837.png 
Views:	85 
Size:	44.4 KB 
ID:	116251

Mike, that's kind to share your hard-learned effort.

i knew the scale-up approach would rattle a few cages but previewing and zooming out is chore so why not left it to final proof time?

Acorn