Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Font Awesome not working quite right in Web Designer 365 Premium

wondering if anyone else has this issue.

What I expect to happen
    - I have Xara Designer Pro X11 and when I click INSERT menu I see "Font Awesome Symbol" - clicking that shows a pop-up and I can pick symbols

What is happening
    - so, I had an old copy of Web Designer Premium 11 laying around and decided to upgrade it to 365 so I would have the EXACT software that a client is using. When I click INSERT in WD Premium 365 I see "Symbols" > clicking on that shows a pop up that says I need to install a font > I let it do it's thing and then the symbols pop up. The next time I need another system - it does the SAME THING ALL OVER - tells me I need to install a font > goes through a font install process > shows me the symbols...
    I can't get it to stop trying to install the font and just show the symbols. If I click "cancel" (don't install font) I get a warning telling me that my font is outdated - close that warning and I can use symbols... next time I try... back at beginning again...
    Robert Steflik
    www.wfcentral.com
    ASUS Laptop / Windows 10 ---- Xara Designer Pro X11 ---- Xara owner since version 1.0

Default Re: Font Awesome not working quite right in Web Designer 365 Premium

Try running the application once as an Administrator.

On the application icon or executable, right-click and select Run as administrator.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

all of these pop-up generated from Web Designer do not allow me to right click and run as administrator. However, clicking on more details I was able to see the font it is trying to install (fontawesome.ttf) so, I will try doing a standard Window install (as administrator) of that font to see if it fixes it.

UPDATE: that did not work either. Windows appears to install the font - but, WDP12 still says the awesome font is out of date and needs to be updated.
    Robert Steflik
    www.wfcentral.com
    ASUS Laptop / Windows 10 ---- Xara Designer Pro X11 ---- Xara owner since version 1.0

That would be with your Xara application shut down, start it as an administrator.

thanks all - that fixed it. I also went into the app and changed the properties to always run as administrator so I don't have to keep manually doing it.
    Robert Steflik
    www.wfcentral.com

Quote Originally Posted by wfcentral View Post
    thanks all - that fixed it. I also went into the app and changed the properties to always run as administrator so I don't have to keep manually doing it.
    Robert--the run as administrator only needs to be done once. (Well, I have never had to more than once for any application...)

The problem is one of permissions for the user account. Even though your user profile may be the Administrator for the computer, Windows and some applications just don't get along and what needs the elevated permissions doesn't get registered. I have read all sorts of reasons for this, but they have never been consistent with each other, so for me it falls into the "I don't care anymore" camp and should I have issues with any application, I just do it once and am done with it.

Take care, Mike