Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 18 of 29 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Default Re: How do you feel about the 365 Program?

Quote Originally Posted by mwenz View Post
    What happens if you need to reinstall for any reason if one doesn't renew? What about the updated capabilities and possibly bug fixes? As of yet, Kate indicated at one point they haven't really worked out the bug fixes part of the updates.
    Got to agree with you on that one. Bug fixes vs new features still don't seem to have been resolved anywhere with Xara or the other 365 Magix programs. It should be interesting with the first 365 cycle coming up.
    John CB
    Xara DPX(19.0.1.65946)

what mike said and acorn too...
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Hi Xara community! Like many others I haven't upgraded yet, in fact I'm still using Xara Photo and Graphic Designer 2013. I would happily upgrade and support Xara if I saw them concentrate more on improving the vector tools instead of adding more and more photo editing features and content that I don't need. It's a real shame because even though I have Illustrator and Affinity Designer I still prefer Xara but seeing it stagnate in the vector department really makes me sad. Let's hope it will change!

Quote Originally Posted by planz View Post
    Hi Xara community! Like many others I haven't upgraded yet, in fact I'm still using Xara Photo and Graphic Designer 2013. I would happily upgrade and support Xara if I saw them concentrate more on improving the vector tools instead of adding more and more photo editing features and content that I don't need. It's a real shame because even though I have Illustrator and Affinity Designer I still prefer Xara but seeing it stagnate in the vector department really makes me sad. Let's hope it will change!
    I have seen this argument/discussion many a time over here in the forum and totally understand and sympathize with the 'artist's' mentality, and needs.
    But when I think about this, one of the first thing I think about is that I, and I suspect many others, are not vector artists, or any kind of artist for that matter.

So when it comes Xara's direction and focus regarding more features? I ask myself what is the biggest potential market for them?

Would it be vector artists?.... or those who....

• design websites? (No Adobe... No HTML... etc.)
    • do/need 'some' photo manipulation, which can be very useful and creative with the provided tools? — without being a PS artist. (like me)
    • do/need page layout capabilities for print? - (I've actually made quite a few bucks here and there with Xara's capabilities. and still do)
    • want a quick, simple method for presentation and some animation? (I, could care less about this... but some DO care... I get it.)
    • etc.

I think we know the answer. To mind mind and MY needs, I believe that the added tools they provide,(albeit) sometimes what seems painfully slow,
    are very useful and show great potential.

Yes, I know how Xara began, and I know that many of you very loyal users have been with them since the start and feel that YOU, deserve what you deserve,
    but times change, needs change, markets change etc.

If it's true that the market ratio between Artists and Others is, what I believe is huge, then what would you do if you had what to say over at Xara?
    I think for every vector/graphic artist I come across, I could find a couple hundred, if not much more of other types of users. The vector tools currently provided
    are PERFECT.... for me. I repeat.... for me. Am I not as important as you? (not pickin' a fight here)

Yes, I've had my gripes with Xara stuff, but that just goes with the all-around software territory... doesn't it? Of course it does.

For the vector centric folks, we/you all know the big applications (the big kahuna's) that make that a focus and OWN that market. If you were Xara, would you want
    to go toe to toe with them at the risk of receiving a tiny share of their market? I believe if Xara matched them tit for tat in the vector tools dept., they'd be lucky to
    pull only the tiniest percentage of users from them - if that. And that just doesn't make business sense. Does it? I know AI, and Corel artists that would never
    in a million years switch. I've been told many times... Even when they love some of the ways Xara accomplishes certain things it 2 steps opposed to their 8 steps.

So we've got at least two different camps here at the forum. Both, I believe have respectable arguments. So what happens? The Market will always
    decide as it does with ANY other consumer product you can possible think of. Change... Change... Change... (that filthy, hard to deal with reality)

For as long as I can remember, regarding computers, software apps, etc., (1982 - Commodore 64), I have been frustrated/happy frustrated/happy frustrated/happy
    more times then I could possible count. So, for the occasional technology peace of mind, I've just learned to 'go with the flow'... or better yet, 'go where the market takes me.'

Just another opinion.

Cliff

Oh!.... Enough with the damm purple icon already.... really? Geeezzzzz

I'm with you planz.

R_o_n _a_l _d __C. __D_u_k_e

x a r a . c o m..a r t i s t s ..g a l l e r y

Xara's Facebook

Xara Designer Pro X 16, Xara 3D7 Web Designer

Quote Originally Posted by cmpan1 View Post

Would it be vector artists?.... or...
    How's inserting text into a shape working for ya, Cliff?

There are plenty of design-side things as regards layout and presentation that could still be rolled in over time. Quicker than what they do now, that is. I am grateful for the addition in the latest update for the OT features Xara did. And I am grateful for getting around to supporting OT GPOS (OT kerning, basically) a couple versions ago. And I could yet list some more since I began with XDP at version 6.

There are ease of use things that time could be spent on that benefits everyone--just updating one's configuration from version to version would make people smile. Officially supporting a light UI or even a manually configurable UI color scheme would make yet others happy (some UI colors are in an XML file--move them all into it and I would write a utility for people).

Other things would be fixing long standing issues. Ever try to use the Print on All Plates feature and have Pantone colors? Doesn't work going to PDF. Even setting the crop marks and info for PDF use could be copied from the print dialog to the PDF dialog. Heck, I would be surprised if the code they license for PDFs doesn't have it in it (it does I believe) and could be added. XDP needs the special Registration color added. This list, the fixing of long-standing issues, finishing off certain features, etc., would make various people happy no matter their design emphasis.

Xara really needs to decide who it is and go for it with gusto. There's too much product fragmentation and horrible naming of those products. Xara has demonstrated it is too slow to be all things to all men. XDP is also over-priced compared to the competition. That needs a rethought else it will continue to die a slow death.

Xara really needs to decide who it is and go for it with gusto. There's too much product fragmentation...
    Tough to argue my points after that Mike.... have to agree with 99% of your full reply....

So, that being said Mike, how do you... and what do you use to get around the problems that Xara presents to you?

Using a phone, it's difficult to also see the drivel I wrote while typing...

But a for instance as regards print on all plates. My main need for this is doing screen printing. So I stack my registration targets on top of each other and color them with each Pantone color. Having the Registration color or having Print on all Plates work in a pdf would obviate that work-around.

OT features not present. I mainly use XDP for art that goes into a layout application. But I also use it for ad work. When I have desired to use XDP and had need for OT features I would compose the headline or other text in another application and export as a pdf with that text converted to curves then import into XDP.

I use the dark ui, but would prefer a more neutral gray. A couple ui colors I have altered in the xml. I won't use the light ui because of its issues and would still prefer a bit darker anyway. Either way, the dark ui isn't an impediment to actual work. But I appreciate that others want to use the light ui and having the means of configuration would please everyone.

I export the registry for the toolbars whenever I make a change and modify it for new versions when I update. After install and the first run-up, I'll then overwrite the stock registry entries. Then start XDP and deal with the issues that do happen. But Xara could map existing entries, import from an existing installation, etc., if they so chose to do so. But until then that's how I deal with that issue.

Lack of color management--despite there being a widely use open source color management available--is simply done by using known color values when important. Understanding how color works and XDP deals with it helps. I doubt I would have ever actually bought a license for version 6 following the trial period if in my tests I couldn't rely on color. But here again, Xara could improve by getting with it as regards color management. It then takes some of the thinking required when working primarily in print.

Oh gosh, more drivel ahead...export filters also often enough take dealing with if needing to have XDP play nice with others. It really would be nice if Xara would update certain import and export filters. But I have learned how to get quality out of XDP and into other applications via trial and error. It would be nice if Xara learned/accepted the fact they do not exist in isolation before they completely gut themselves.

All that may truly sound like I have nothing good to write. I upgrade every version simply because I like XDP more than other vector drawing applications. It's more like my crazy uncle who is strangely easy to get along with. My only goal for being critical is I do not want XDP to become irrelevant. I want it to grow and become even better than it is.

I could not agree more!

Lack of color management--despite there being a widely use open source color management available--is simply done by using known color values when important. Understanding how color works and XDP deals with it helps. I doubt I would have ever actually bought a license for version 6 following the trial period if in my tests I couldn't rely on color. But here again, Xara could improve by getting with it as regards color management. It then takes some of the thinking required when working primarily in print.
    Like You I like Xara for artworks and designs with it's easiness. For commercial printing is a colormanagement indispensable.
    To get save colors I use colortables for CMYK or HKS/Pantone Color Matching Systems. HKS and Pantone as spotcolors. My workaround for CMYK is to put the color values from the table into Xara as CMYK. Then I write a PDF X1 and chek the colors on my calibreted equipment with Acrobat Pro. So I can be sure that the color wil look like promissed.

Xaras print color simulation is a joke or may I name it a shame? Maybe will Xara name the next version XDFNPU=Xara Designer For Non Professional Use.
    See my screenshots what is happen with a color value of C=50, M=50, Y=0, K=0.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	xara-color.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	88.4 KB 
ID:	117045   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	acro-color.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	67.6 KB 
ID:	117044