Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Reworked my logo. Is it better or worse!

Bigger is better but not really necessary. When you take the photo take it at a high reolution, most phones and digital cameras take a fairly good resolution. Then you can enlarge or reduce the image as needed. For the space you have, a little bigger would be good.

Info Re: Reworked my logo. Is it better or worse!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wood Solutions.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	33.0 KB 
ID:	116046

I had a little play and added purple lining to deepen the shadows and used a mould to straighten the lettering and a little cloning to fill in missing bits: full sized image here - Wood Solutions.zip.

Go for a larger scale, as I did, and you should be all right. Xara will rework the image to 960px seamlessly.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wood Solutions.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	33.0 KB 
ID:	116046

I had a little play and added purple lining to deepen the shadows and used a mould to straighten the lettering and a little cloning to fill in missing bits: full sized image here - Wood Solutions.zip.

Go for a larger scale, as I did, and you should be all right. Xara will rework the image to 960px seamlessly.

Acorn
    Very nice and very helpful. Thanks, Acorn. It seems the Moderators here know their business. After dealing with both of you....it seems I have much to learn. Gwpriester thanks for the help.

I don't know what the original logo looked like to be honest, so I cannot comment on better/worse. I think for what you are selling, the typeface could use some rethinking, but in terms of the other suggestions from users, I really like that idea of the embossed logo on wood, though it would need more contrast to be immediately readable. One thing I notice many novices do when designing a logo is think about the final logo at all times, rather than things like shapes and legibility. I personally always start with black and white shapes/text and constantly re-evaluate it as large and small renderings...you never know where a logo might go, from the being silkscreened onto a pen to being blown up on the side of a building, it needs to work in every possible size and color combination you might throw at it, and this is the job of the underlying shapes. While my approach is not 'the best' or 'the only way', it has definitely served me well to think in these terms, using color and texture as the final aspects of the logo, rather than the starting point. A good logo, in my opinion, can be treated with any number of color/texture combinations and still look pretty good if the underlying font/shapes look good themselves.

In saying that, I do like the roof idea in your logo, and I agree that putting the saw blades disconnected from the logo seems unnecessary overall. I know I'm not offering any specific solutions here, but hopefully it will give you an idea of where to make changes. One other thing...never be married to your idea. This eliminates the possibility of a better idea if it comes to you or is suggested by someone else. I think I heard it best described as "A designer's trashbin is full of good ideas because the best idea is the one they went with.'
    See my some of artwork and hear some of my music at www.kniteforcerevolution.com

I know this might be a daft observation, but if you have the file that you routed, could you not bring that back in to Xara and use that to recreate the logo to look like a wooden emboss as mentioned in the earlier posts?

This way it would be a vector file you could then play around with it to your hearts content.

I know this might be a daft observation, but if you have the file that you routed
    Unless I am wrong Dahzee, Golash used an actual router on an actual piece of hard wood. Totally analog process. Unless he had a CADD file to operate the router. Which is altogether possible and if so not entirely daft. However, CADD files generally do not create closed shapes that can be beveled, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    Unless I am wrong Dahzee, Golash used an actual router on an actual piece of hard wood. Totally analog process. Unless he had a CADD file to operate the router. Which is altogether possible and if so not entirely daft. However, CADD files generally do not create closed shapes that can be beveled, etc.
    Here is how the process went. I had a designer make the logo. I then sent the logo to a designer that works
    in ArtCam. He created the 3d raised effect in the software. Then I take his file and run it thru a CAM program.
    This software then generates G code of the surface. Then I ran the part on the CNC machine.
    It's an involved process. The CAM software has more settings then Xara.

Barry

Do you still have the software? My head is swimming just thinking about all that!

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    Do you still have the software? My head is swimming just thinking about all that!
    I have CAM software but I don`t have a copy of ArtCam. It's only 8K US. That`s why I had a designer do the work
    that had his own copy. It's amazing sometimes what software costs. Don`t mention this to Xara but I would have paid
    more for their software. Wonderful value for the money. Oh ...No, this isn`t a Xara forum. Too late I clicked send....: -O

Barry