Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Need advice on setting up multiple templates

I know how to change the template document in Xara and have found several posts confirming the method. ("With your new document open, go to File/Save Template, give it a name and make sure you tick the box to the right "Use as default template". Now every time you open a new document this will be it. ")

But for my uses, I start with one of three document types:
    • Printed Page ... that I want to be 8.5x11, with units in inches
    • General Graphic ... that I want 800x800 pixels, in a double-wide format
    • Web Page ... which I want set to 1280x1024 pixels

Can someone suggest a good way to implement these so that I might click a button on the Xara screen and get the right layout?

Thanks in advance for help.

Xara Pro X9 on Win7 PC

Default Re: Need advice on setting up multiple templates

Templates are available from the File menu, but there can be only one default (for the New Document icon) and I don't think one can add a button to start a new document from an icon.

File > New... [select your template]

As Mike points out, select the one you use most often and save it as the Default Template.

Here's a cheesy way to do it...

-create a folder on your desktop called "Xara Templates"
    -make one of each of these templates that you need (blank) and place them in that folder
    -when you are ready to do some work just double-click one of these files and do a SAVE AS right off the bat

You can use this trick whether Xara is open or not... if Xara is open it will load the file and be ready to go. If not, then it will start Xara and load the file.

The only downside is if you forget to SAVE AS and do a SAVE instead - which would basically goof your template up... not hard to fix though.

Also, it's possible these may stay in your "recent..." items in the Xara menu if you don't do a lot of different saves all the time...

Quick Keys sometimes help.

Default template: Ctrl+N & Alt+F+N+Enter
    Second in the list: Alt+F+N+DownArrow+Enter
    Third in the list: Alt+F+N+DownArrow+DownArrow+Enter

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Thanks for the responses. It looks like the best solution, for me, is a combination of the suggested methods.

I located the templates on C:\Program Files\Xara\Xara Designer Pro X9\Templates\ENG

I added a new Basic Graphic template and it shows up fine. My plan it to add my other two, and then remove all the others, since I never use them. That will leave only three, so I can summon them up with the Ctrl key methods.

One issue, however: there is a file, templates.xml, that references all the default templates, but not my new one. The reason for the file is not apparent.
    • is that file needed?
    • if so, can it be edited to reflect my choices?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	templatesXML.PNG 
Views:	102 
Size:	16.2 KB 
ID:	116012

Info Re: Need advice on setting up multiple templates

Quote Originally Posted by Contours View Post
    Thanks for the responses. It looks like the best solution, for me, is a combination of the suggested methods.

I located the templates on C:\Program Files\Xara\Xara Designer Pro X9\Templates\ENG

I added a new Basic Graphic template and it shows up fine. My plan it to add my other two, and then remove all the others, since I never use them. That will leave only three, so I can summon them up with the Ctrl key methods.

One issue, however: there is a file, templates.xml, that references all the default templates, but not my new one. The reason for the file is not apparent.
    • is that file needed?
    • if so, can it be edited to reflect my choices?

Name:	templatesXML.PNG 
Views:	102 
Size:	16.2 KB 
ID:	116012
    You can edit it, particularly in re-ordering so you can put your principal templates to the top. I think default promotes the selected one to the top of the list regardless.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

You can edit it
    So it must stay? Would you happen to know the reason my new template isn't listed? ... yet it's presented as a runtime choice ... which is why I don't understand how the file is used.

Name:	Choices.png 
Views:	84 
Size:	26.5 KB 
ID:	116015

It should be. Did you give it a unique name such as Contours Workplace or some such?
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

I just tried it to be sure and mine show up.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.