Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: XaraX and math

I found out that working with xara to create mathematical graphs is harder than I thought. The graphs are simple, either a trigonometrical function, or just analytics maths (triangles, squares etc...). But I need these to be put inside Word, and unfortunately Xara fails to create clean graphs at 40x40 points size
    When I export a metafile/ai file to word drawn at 40x40 it becomes larger than 40x40, and when I minimize it some parts of the graph dissapear.

Is there any work around for this one?

Previously the graphs were created using Macromedia freehand, but it's also not accurate enought.

Thanks.

I found out that working with xara to create mathematical graphs is harder than I thought. The graphs are simple, either a trigonometrical function, or just analytics maths (triangles, squares etc...). But I need these to be put inside Word, and unfortunately Xara fails to create clean graphs at 40x40 points size
    When I export a metafile/ai file to word drawn at 40x40 it becomes larger than 40x40, and when I minimize it some parts of the graph dissapear.

Is there any work around for this one?

Previously the graphs were created using Macromedia freehand, but it's also not accurate enought.

Thanks.

Have you tried creating your graph as a .wmf? That is words default clipart file type.

Availor
    Whats 40 x 40 point size?
    Egg
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Availor,

I know your desire to have scalable graphics. It seems it should be the best solution.

BUT, it is not necesarily so ... especially with Word.

I and my associate produce lots of graphs for reports and proposals. For proposals in particular, we are quite restricted in the available space, often less than a 3"x3" area.

All we do is export as a PNG or JPG; usually no less than 150 dpi. For some strange reason we've found that JPG works best with Word when printed to our HP color laser.

The trick is this. For your text labels START with the MINIMUM point size that you can live with. I often use Arial Narrow. 8 pt is generally the lower limit. This way, later on, if you need to make the graph larger, you can upscale the entire graphic prior to exporting. Also be careful of the colors used so there is enough contrast between the text and the background imagery.

Regards, John

Hello,
    40x40 means points in size, and I've tried making it a wmf file. It is compatible with Word, but the quality is bad. The line of the graph is much thicker, and unproportional when printed.

I print this on a laser OKI printer - this is the printer installed in my work place.

The font we use it Times New roman 10, and for graphs 8, so setting it any smaller is a bit difficult. Considering the time needed to rescale and change it - the time it's consuming is very unprofitable.

The problem is, the program I've been working it, FX Draw has no zoom scale possibility, and after 8-12 hours of work my eyes get pretty much tired. Especialy since I have to manually calculate the angles and degrees. I would be for a help in this one since it will definetely help me in my work.

Thanks again http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/tongue.gif

I don't know if this would be helpful. I haven't tried it myself, but maybe you could check this link:

http://scigraphica.sourceforge.net/

Nothing guaranteed, just some link I came across and bookmarked...

Thanks alot Grafixman!!

If you ever managed to install the app and get it working, I'd like to know... I got lost just getting the gtk thing... http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/confused.gif
    If it's any help, check out this site:
    http://nces.ed.gov/nceskids/graphing/
    There's an interactive graph making feature here. Select the type of graph you'd like to make in the box and you'd be directed to a page where you could input your values. It outputs a png image of the graph. Pretty neat. Could be what you're looking for. http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/biggrin.gif
    Another app that came to mind was Mathematica... but that costs big bucks...