Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: 3d printed computers?

The 3D printed gun was more of an 'art project' than a real engineering possibility. If you're lucky it wouldn't explode in your face the first time you used it, you're very unlikely to be able to use it a second time.

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    @ Larry: You said no, and so did I - and because you said it first I said it in a way that meant to show I agreed with you - sorry if that was not clear

there are lots of automated process that can be used in industry, but 'printing' as used here is only applicable to the extrusion of an homogeneous material - eg plastic

and yes, unfortunately, a gun which is a mechanical device and not too difficult to put together is one thing you can do - basic maybe, but that's not really the point.... let's hope the technology does not extend to the ammunition any time soon
    Thank you handrawm, "Lets hope the technology does not extend to the ammunition any time soon" I certainly agree.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke.Hart View Post
    The 3D printed gun was more of an 'art project' than a real engineering possibility. If you're lucky it wouldn't explode in your face the first time you used it, you're very unlikely to be able to use it a second time.
    That's good know, but of course humans are naturally problem solvers.

Something that has been fascinating me for a while is Theo Jansen's Strandbeests. I can't get my head around how the small model versions with all their moving parts can be 3D printed out of a block of material. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=K5eMKfWVkXQ
    Jon (Jono) Xara Photo & Graphic Designer 19.0.0.64329 DL x64 May 19 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Jonopen View Post
    That's good know, but of course humans are naturally problem solvers.

Something that has been fascinating me for a while is Theo Jansen's Strandbeests. I can't get my head around how the small model versions with all their moving parts can be 3D printed out of a block of material. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=K5eMKfWVkXQ
    I don't know about Theo Jansen's Strandbeests but 3D printers work a layer at a time starting at the bottom, so a layer of material is laid down then there is some space then the next area on that layer is printed and so on as dictated by the model then on to the next layer and so on until all layers are printed each layer is slightly different but builds on the previous layer and so on until the object is finished. Hens the need for a file type and model the printer can understand.

Not unlike this simple example.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	not unlike this.png 
Views:	90 
Size:	338 Bytes 
ID:	115977

Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

@Jonopen
    I can't get my head around how the small model versions with all their moving parts can be 3D printed out of a block of material.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selective_laser_sintering

Good article Mike. But those would be high end machines, The ones I have seen use a plastic line melts and applies it layer by layer.
    @Jonopen I was in a hurry when I did my graphic so it is not correct because I have a space between the layers which is not the case. Actually a layer can be laid very thin or very wide sometimes rotated a slight amount depending on the model. So I have corrected my simple model. The colors I used and sizes mean nothing just sort of show layers.

Name:	not unlike this 2.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	14.2 KB 
ID:	115984

Name:	sort of like this.png 
Views:	83 
Size:	5.7 KB 
ID:	115985
    Sometimes they are constructed so there is a say an inner and outer wall with a lattice in between to save on material and perhaps print time.
    Last edited by wizard509; 22 January 2017 at 02:37 AM. Reason: corrected reply to Mike Bailey
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Thanks Larry for the graphic illustrations and Mike for pointing me towards the sintering article. I've a much better idea now, although of course I'm now completely baffled by lasers! (Don't worry I'll look it up)
    Jon (Jono) Xara Photo & Graphic Designer 19.0.0.64329 DL x64 May 19 2022

When you are printing objects with multiple parts, filler material is printed between the parts and will break off from the final print.

I have cheap little 3D-printer bought for testing purposes because got it very cheap, but for me the process is too slow and with good quality takes very long to finish. Is for patient people only or those with pockets full of money and can buy more expensive equipment. Unfortunately I am neither of those.

Quote Originally Posted by theinonen View Post
    When you are printing objects with multiple parts, filler material is printed between the parts and will break off from the final print.

I have cheap little 3D-printer bought for testing purposes because got it very cheap, but for me the process is too slow and with good quality takes very long to finish. Is for patient people only or those with pockets full of money and can buy more expensive equipment. Unfortunately I am neither of those.

I don't understand. The inexpensive ones I have seen do not have any filler printed between the parts only a space where nothing is printed, it may depend on the model file and what instructions given to the printer, but I agree it does take a long time to print,

EDIT: a solid printed object may have solid outer walls and filler in between. Sometimes there are multiple parts printed then joined together to make the final object, there again it depends in the model and how you want it to look, such as different colors for different parts.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

It is impossible to print into air and the resulting print stay in place, if there is nothing to support it. So support material would have been better word than a filler.