Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Save file as vector?

Hi everyone. I know I can save a file in many different formats. However, I re-created a logo for a friend of mine from a .jpg file she had. She wanted some changes made to the logo (background color, different color for the graphics and for the text.) Any way, in order to re-create it, I had to trace the original and recolor it. The problem is that when I save it as an .eps file (or even as a .pdf) the images look a bit blurry when enlarged to the size they need to be in order for her to have a large sign made out of it. How can I save the actual graphic images as vectors graphics so that they won't blur when blown up? I'm attaching the .xar file - maybe someone can give me some pointers for how to save the heartbeat (red 'pulse') and the car as vector images? I'm using Xara Design Pro X.KarolynsLogo1.xar
    Coleen
    "Tears are not a sign of weakness, they are a sign of how deeply we loved."

Default Re: Save file as vector?

Colleen - Attached is a screen shot of your logo exported as PDF/X at 1000 % actual size. Vector images will not degrade or blur when enlarged. That is the beauty of vector vs bitmap.

The line work on the auto itself is very ragged but that is probably because it was a traced bitmap that had degraded and/or was too small.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1000 percent.png 
Views:	147 
Size:	12.8 KB 
ID:	115886  

Exactly. Is there a way for me to 'fix' that? I am still learning the full capabilities of Xara, so even if I have to re-draw it again that is fine, but is there a way for me to save it so that the car and the pulse won't degrade when blown up?
    Coleen

Going forward, you might want to make a practice of saving the file in xar format, then either exporting a different format or saving a copy in the desired format. That way, you always have your original work available for future modifications.

I DID save it in a .xar format. That isn't the issue. The issue is that I exported it in three different 'vector' file formats: .eps, .pdf and .svg. The sign company my friend is using keeps telling her that the images (car and red pulse) are not saved as vector files, and that they degrade when he tries to 'blow them up.' So either the exported files aren't truly saved in a vector format, or the guy is an idiot and doesn't know how to open and enlarge an .eps or .svg file correctly! What I need to know, is there a way for me to save the graphics specifically as vector images? Do I need to re-create them in layers as vector images? If so, how do I do that?
    Coleen

Your design is 100% vector.

There is no image/bitmaps in it. The bright blue may take on a slight purplish look because of the 100% C & M conversion.

Just use one of the PDF/X or modified for compatibility settings. Likely they use CorelDraw and an exported PDF from XDP--yours included--import into CD just fine.

Thanks. Maybe she can find a different sign company. Sigh.
    Coleen

Ask them what they use to open your file with. Also, feel free to upload the pdf you made and I can check it. Might save the hassle of looking for another company.

Thank you! Here's the .pdf. KarolynsLogo.pdf
    Coleen

so even if I have to re-draw it again that is fine
    That is what I would do. You can use heavy lines and add Stroke Shapes then when you are done, convert your lines to shape and then select all the converted lines and Arrange > Combine Shapes > Add Shapes to give you a single image.