Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Test applying bevels please

Hi peeps, I attach a xar file (created from a Xara trace). It now contains 5 shapes. When I apply a simple Flat bevel , Size 2px to each individual shape in turn, on applying the bevel to a second shape, it crashes Xara. The only way I could do it was to create a bevel of each shape in a seperate xar files and import (rebuild) each one into a new xar file.

Anyone else have issues with this file.

Attached image of final rebuilt file.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sheep-4-tg.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	58.8 KB 
ID:	115832  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Default Re: Test applying bevels please

not sure it's crashing - just taking a very long time [still running] - seems to work if the shapes are moved to thier own layer, but still takes time...
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Well, it really contains thousands of shapes with countless surfaces to bevel. It doesn't matter that they have been combined. they are still what they are. Just the magenta and green shapes contain 5203 shapes in total.

Mike

Cheers. I'm aware there are many nodes. It's just that creating a bevel on one shape works fine. Selecting a second (no matter which one) hangs the program. Copy and pasting each shape into a seperate xar file works no problem, as does pasting each shape into a 'combining' xar page create no problem. I just wondered if it was an identifyable bug, why creating bevels one at a time in the original xar file cause the lock-up.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Just curious as to why the drawing has so many shapes? It looks like it would be pretty simple to hand trace it and then you would just be able to quickly apply a bevel to the whole thing.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Hi France, no other reason than I was messing about with Xara's trace feature. Just experimenting for experimenting purposes

I attach a xar file (created from a Xara trace).
    Egg

it didn't crash, but it didn't respond either. I ended the program instead after about 3 minutes (I have no patience sometimes lol I think this is why I completely am allergic to video editing...render times are a killer!)
    See my some of artwork and hear some of my music at www.kniteforcerevolution.com

Thanks for checking. It didn't really crash for me either, just stopped responding. I just find it strange it can bevel one shape, very complex, in a short time but baulk at bevelling a second shape. Perhaps a Dev could comment?
    Egg

I think it might be a rendering issue - on any given layer everything has to be redrawn, including what you have already done, and so it slows down [quite possibly exponentially rather than linear] as you try do do more

So I would do this with each shape on its own layer - locking and hiding the others or using solo mode

I am not always impressed with xara's proprietary rendering engine - it does not always make full use of my nvidia GPU - same can be said of multicore support for my AMD CPU
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...