Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Before & After Magazine ~ A Logo of Letters

Before & After Magazine ~ A Logo of Letters issue 0363 pdf {link to .pdf)

I think this has been mentioned on TG before, but a search yielded no result.
    The above link takes you to a downloadable .pdf, full of useful tips on designing a logo by manipulating letters.
    Be sure to check the resources pages at the end pp. 13 to 17 so you can follow along.

B&A magazine has been discussed on TG before, IIRC, but this particular article may have overlooked.
    I had a subscription to it for a while many moons ago and found it very useful and informative with very readable jargon-free articles.

This article is ideal for would-be designers or enthusiasts just starting out, or for those who just want to try and make their own simple logo or monogram.
    Attached is something I made following along with the first example in the article. I used Astute Graphics plugin for Illustrator, Width Stamp for the woody effect.
    Instead of removing the stem of one of the letters and then abutting the letters, I just kerned them.

Bob.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HK.jpg 
Views:	200 
Size:	66.5 KB 
ID:	115727  
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

Default Re: Before & After Magazine ~ A Logo of Letters

Thanks for sharing the link. Strangely I really enjoy reading these type of articles, but for some reason hardly ever thoroughly work my way through them. Maybe that'll be my new year thing - to actually read and digest some of this design information. Meanwhile here's something I did after a play around with my forum nickname showing it's approximate evolutionary path. I've got a proper one on the drawing board using just my initials, which I'll post later.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jonopen1.png 
Views:	152 
Size:	163.2 KB 
ID:	115732
    Jon (Jono) Xara Photo & Graphic Designer 19.0.0.64329 DL x64 May 19 2022

Thanks for posting Bob. When I get time I intend to study that article, heaven knows I sure need to understand and get better at this kind of thing.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Very interesting article. Thanks Bob.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Glad that you all liked the article. It took me years to actually get round to trying out some of the examples.
    Here's one on some sacking for the imaginary United Republic Potato Company.
    Bob.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ur.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	129.6 KB 
ID:	115758  
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

I like both this and post #1.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.