Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default XDPX crashes when pasting contents into Affinity Designer

Hi,

I found that XDPX12 consistently crashes when I copy something from Xara to the clipboard then try to paste the clipboard contents into Affinity Designer. I posted this in the AD forum and they said this should better be handled on your side since it is XDPX that crashes.

I hope you can do something about this in the near future. Thanks!
    Rubem Pechansky

Default Re: XDPX crashes when pasting contents into Affinity Designer

Just to confirm that XDPX12 crashes when pasting into AD for me, too.
    Bob.
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

It doesn't crash for me but if you want to get your selection into affinity as vector you need to export as svg other wise you get a bitmap.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Crashes XDP for me each and every time. Serif is aware, their statement is that it is Xara's fault. As I can paste from XDP into other applications, I am uncertain it isn't at least a mix of faults. I don't know if the contents XDP places on the clipboard is in a standard WMF/EMF format nor whether they are indexed properly. As well, I have no idea if Serif is too restrictive on the retrieval of the XDP clipboard format and/or indexing.

But in the end, I rarely copy/paste from/to any application and AD does like XDP's SVG export.

PATIENT: Doc, it hurts when I walk this way.
    DOCTOR: So, don't walk that way.

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    PATIENT: Doc, it hurts when I walk this way.
    DOCTOR: So, don't walk that way.
    Shop Assistant to Customer: "Talcum powder? Walk this way."
    Customer to Shop Assistant: "If I could walk that way, I wouldn't need talcum powder."
    Bob.
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

Further testing revealed that CorelDRAW X5 (I don't have a newer release here) and LibreOffice also "translate" vectors from Xara into bitmaps just like AD does. Inkscape, on the other hand, maintain XDP shapes as vectors. Only Affinity makes XDP crash, though.

As I can paste from XDP into other applications, I am uncertain it isn't at least a mix of faults.
    Couldn't agree more. Hope someone at Xara tries to solve this anyway.
    Rubem Pechansky

Quote Originally Posted by rubem View Post
    Further testing revealed that CorelDRAW X5 (I don't have a newer release here) and LibreOffice also "translate" vectors from Xara into bitmaps just like AD does. Inkscape, on the other hand, maintain XDP shapes as vectors. Only Affinity makes XDP crash, though...
    CD does like the CMX export from XDP though...but I would still use PDF.

Yes, today PDF and SVG are probably the best for interoperability. But IMHO the clipboard is still unsurpassed for speed.
    Rubem Pechansky

IF XDP used PDF as a clipboard format like Illustrator or AD on the Mac, I would agree about using the clipboard as a general vehicle. But metafile content is iffy at best as various legacy applications (which is what I consider XDP) can put their own flavor on the clipboard and so have mixed results. CD for instance has no concept of how to parse XDP's metafile content which is why only the two bitmap formats come through.

AD on Windows has the ability to place SVG on the clipboard, but I have found it of little use in testing among a variety of applications.

On a Mac, PDF to the clipboard is a more or less standard format from my little understanding. MS doesn't care enough to support it, though. But it would be the best of all worlds on a PC.