Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How to make website faster

Hi,

I have used Google website speed tester to test my website. The results show my website is very slow, especially the mobile site. Is there anything I can do in Xara Web Design to make my site faster. I have already optimised my images.

Thanks.

Default Re: How to make website faster

Perhaps you could post a url so people here can see.

Yes, please post a link to your site so we can check it out.

For mobile sites, I try to simplify as much as possible. Because the viewing area is smaller and often the network connection speed is not as fast, I am more selective about what graphics I include.

The simple things you can do are to optimise images, ideally your page size should be no more than 500k unless it is very image heavy (portfolio etc) even then try and keep below 2mb There are lots of sites which can compress images (in a batch fashion) and also look at compression the html and css (again plenty of sites online which can do this for you, once they have use an ftp such as filezilla to replace the xara generated html and css with the compressed files). Also using too many animations etc and various scripts will also slow down your website a LOT. The main culprit however can be your hosting, slow shared hosting can effect your site's speed by quite a lot.
    Flawless Form. Faultless Function. Crafted by Cloud

https://www.cloudwebagency.co.uk

Thanks for your replies,

my website is swallowdale-brundall dot co dot uk
    Last edited by gwpriester; 27 January 2018 at 12:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ianzzz5 View Post
    Thanks for your replies, my website is swallowdale-brundall dot co dot uk
    Ian, reduce the amount of text and image carousels on your index page.
    Go for larger font size headlines and links to other pages where those who are interested will follow.

I like your calendar, especially showing the changeover day.

The NavBar doesn't fill me with an understanding that SwallowDale is in Brundall on the Broads.
    All your SiteMap, T&Cs and Privacy Policy as all but invisible unless you go hunting.

Acorn
    Last edited by gwpriester; 27 January 2018 at 12:39 PM.
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

The images in the top right slider are far bigger than required. I take it this is the Xara Slideshow widget. It would appear that this widget doesn't reduce the images to match the screen real-estate. For example the slider takes up 577px x 382px on your webpage but the images being loaded are 3,264px x 2,448px @ 556 Kb as opposed to 59Kb for the same image sized 577px x 382px. The same applies for the other 11 images in this slider.

I suggest you redo the Xara slider using images of 577px x 382px.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	swallowdale.png 
Views:	105 
Size:	42.4 KB 
ID:	115468   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	swallowdale-2.png 
Views:	130 
Size:	29.0 KB 
ID:	115469  

Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Thanks egg.

I have completely removed the sliders from my homepage now and added a gallery page to my website which has made it a little faster to load.

What program do you use to make images smaller in size ?

Hey there! To make your website faster, you need to concentrate on website design. For example, make sure your images are Internet-friendly, optimize your CSS and JavaScript file, eliminate website baggage this all comes under web design. [Link removed by moderator] generally, should be intuitive and adaptive and should be catchy enough to let user or guest surf through all your inner pages. Optimizing these factors can help your website get fast as nothing is more frustating than a slow website.
    Last edited by gwpriester; 15 May 2017 at 12:33 PM.

Welcome to TalkGraphics PMangum

New users and especially non-Xara users are not permitted commercial links. So I have removed your link to your website but left your message. Please read the forum rules before you post commercial links so that we do not banish you as a spammer.