Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: New Bookcover

Default New Bookcover

Hi Xaraistas,

I share my todays work with you. Its a book cover for an over 300 pages strong book which i have set too. The book will be print on an offsetpress in 4-coulor CMYK.
    I hope you enjoy it a little bit.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	screen1.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	94.5 KB 
ID:	115267

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	screen2.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	96.9 KB 
ID:	115266

Default Re: New Bookcover

Very excellent design Ernie!

It would be great if we could tell Xara where to start page numbering. And Master pages would be so helpful.

I have done two book, and they both turned out really good, but it is the small things like numbers and master pages that make the job so much harder.

I am glad to see other Xara designers doing books. I think it is a growing market.

Beautiful cover. So many times authors do not invest enough into a good cover, even for just Kindle books. The cover is what draws the eyes, so that people want to pickup the book and see what it is about.

I have done a cover for a Martial Arts book and I agree with Gary that this could be a good market for designers because there is a lot of poor cover designs, especially in the Kindle market. With the advent of Fiver.com, people are going for some very cheap cover designs that really does not help promote their book.

I really like the picture, what is it of?

Ray

Hi Garry,
    You are so right. It is a pain doing so a work inside Xara. But, but the thinks in printing industry change, so we don't must impose pages, only an export to PDF is needed. The even odd pages we must manage manually inside xara, a pain too.

The PDF export from Xara now is verry good until perfect.
    The possibility to get Masterpages, Numbering, Open Type feauters are long overdue.

And one great think I miss in Xara: is to have a professionel color management.

Garry thanks for Your kind words.

Quote Originally Posted by RKissane View Post
    Beautiful cover. So many times authors do not invest enough into a good cover, even for just Kindle books. The cover is what draws the eyes, so that people want to pickup the book and see what it is about.

I have done a cover for a Martial Arts book and I agree with Gary that this could be a good market for designers because there is a lot of poor cover designs, especially in the Kindle market. With the advent of Fiver.com, people are going for some very cheap cover designs that really does not help promote their book.

I really like the picture, what is it of?

Ray
    Hi Ray,
    I agree absolutly with You. I do Cover- and Bookdesign now over 25 years and it is a pitty what some kind of grafik designer call art.
    Thanks a lot.
    Ernie

Beautiful work and very professional.
    R_o_n _a_l _d __C. __D_u_k_e

x a r a . c o m..a r t i s t s ..g a l l e r y

Xara's Facebook

Xara Designer Pro X 16, Xara 3D7 Web Designer

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Duke View Post
    Beautiful work and very professional.
    Hi Ron,
    from You comments it flowss like honey!
    Thank You very much for a SIR-COMPLIMENT!

Ernie

I have made eight books. Two were published by Blurb.com. The other 6 were published by me, one of which, my last one, I designed in Xara Designer Pro X10. I didn't have any problems with the design of my book, inside or out.